ImageJ crashes with macro at line with "getdirectory(..)"

Hi all,

ImageJ crashes (that is, it closes) when running a macro, at the line that includes “GetDirectory(…)”. This also applies to the test macro included with ImageJ (GetDirectoryDemo.ijm).

Removing this line, the macro then runs fine, except of course for errors regarding the missing directory. Other macros run also fine as long as they do not include “GetDirectory…”.

I have 2 computers, with identical installations, versions and setup (ImageJ 1.53a Java bundle, Windows 10 Pro Version 2004, 19041.450, Java 1.8.0_261, NortonLifeLock, identical settings in Windows Security and in Norton). On my desktop computer ImageJ crashes with such macro, on my laptop, the macro runs fine. I have also tried with de-activated Norton, so it is definitely not a problem with it.

I also have 2 sons living separately. One one computer the macro runs fine, on the other it crashes ImageJ. On my mentor’s computer, the macro also runs fine.

I assume that this problem may have plagued other ImageJ users. Do you have a solution?

This regression on Windows should be fixed in the ImageJ 1.53e17 daily build. To upgrade, use the Help>Update ImageJ command and select “daily build” from the drop down menu.

Is this problem fixed in the ImageJ 1.53e17 daily build?

Wayne,

First of all my sincerest compliments (and gratitude) for your quick answer (=by the top guy).

I updated ImageJ to 1.53e17 and also ran the Daily Build.

However the macro still crashes. I attach the error report.

My competence is not strong enough to handle this error message.

Maybe I should add, that I have, besides the ImageJ Java package also Java already installed on my computers.

The same also on my laptop where the macro runs oK.

Many thanks for your support

Bobby

Robert Svoboda

(retired from ABB / Alstom)

Switzerland

(Attachment hs_err_pid892.log is missing)

Wayne,

First of all my sincerest compliments (and gratitude) for your quick answer (=by the top guy).

I updated ImageJ to 1.53e17 and also ran the Daily Build.

However the macro still crashes. I attach the error report (renamed from .log to .txt in order to help through mail rules)

My competence is not strong enough to handle this error message.

Maybe I should add, that I have, besides the ImageJ Java package also Java already installed on my computers.

The same also on my laptop where the macro runs oK.

Many thanks for your support

Bobby

Robert Svoboda

(retired from ABB / Alstom)

Switzerland

hs_err_pid892.txt (29.2 KB)

This a Java crash. What version of Java are you running on the machines that crash? What version are you running on the machines that do not crash? It’s possible that that the Java runtime is corrupted, so try downloading a fresh copy of ImageJ and Java. Also, try downloading and running Fiji, which includes a different version of Java. You could also try reseting the preferences file using Edit>Options>Reset.

Wayne,

Thank you for your answer. It will take me some days to clarify and respond (to get the information about my son’s computers).

I’m working on it.

Bobby

I downloaded Fiji and updated to the latest ImageJ Version (1.53e17). Now the macros work fine, without crashing. => Problem solved!

There is the following Java that I use:

ImageJ: Java 1.8.0_112 [64 bit] (on all machines that crash, on the other machines it did not crash)

Fiji: Java 1.8.0_172 [64 bit] (no crash on machine where ImageJ crashed)

At the moment, I cannot download ImageJ again and test it, because the download site is updating. Will make this test later.

Resetting preferences did not help.

I updated the ImageJ distribution for Windows at

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/download.html

to use ImageJ 1.53e and the same version of Java as Fiji (1.8.0_172).

With this update, everything runs now fine. Problem solved. Many thanks!