I'm leaving the BoneJ project soon

bonej

My time with BoneJ and Fiji development (at least in official capacity) is coming to and end soon - this is my last month. Now is a good time to be adventurous and try out BoneJ experimental, the new version of BoneJ in development. I’d love to hear about your thoughts and comments and even the bugs you’ll discover. Please feel free to ask any questions like “How does this work?”, “What were you thinking when you wrote this code?”, “Do you still want this pull request merged?” etc. I won’t do a hard Brexit at the end of the month, I reckon I’ll still visit the forum occasionally, fix typos on the wiki and so on, but much more infrequently than now, as I’ll be just an interested party rather than a hired developer.

When I started three years ago I was thrown into the deep end without water wings, and – to torture the metaphor – I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to everyone who’s helped me stay afloat. Unsurprisingly, first and foremost I’d like to thank @ctrueden, who’s unendingly patient when it comes to tutoring junior developers, and reviewing half-finished code submissions. Cheers @hinerm, @ctrueden, @eliceiri and all Hackathon organizers for providing opportunities for me to learn hands on. Thanks @kephale, @dietzc, @tpietzsch, @tjrantal, @iarganda, @imagejan, @skalarproduktraum, @etarena, @alessandrofelder it’s been fun talking shop (and nonsense) with you. Thanks @mdoube for picking me. Finally, thank you everyone for making this a welcoming and friendly community.

Best regards,
Richard Domander

P.S. If I forgot to mention you, please express your rightful indignation below, or forever hold your grudge.

@rimadoma I thought of you yesterday. I went shopping for camouflage pants, but I couldn’t find any…

Thank you for the drinks, duck, and CMX. :heartbeat:

This topic was automatically closed after 60 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.

@rimadoma Many thanks for all your efforts on BoneJ2 and beyond! While I am sad to see you leave the project, it is always exciting to see the flurry of activity that accompanies such deadlines. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help this month during your final push. And best wishes in your future endeavors! :beers:

:sob:
We will miss you a lot.
I fear that Science will be fostered by much less puns…

@rimadoma may you continue to intend your puns :smiley:

If you had the time to review imagej-ops PR #570 and release the artefact with the op in it, that’d be great. That would allow BoneJ2 to get rid off scijava-vecmath dependency, and I’d still have time to help @alessandrofelder use JOML & ojAlgo in his code.

Thanks Richard for your massive effort on BoneJ2. It’s now a completely different beast and it’s my turn in the deep end attempting to maintain your high engineering standard and get to grips with this much improved design. I really appreciate your support in the last few weeks as I’ve started to come to terms with all the changes and shiny newness.

Thanks also to the community - hopefully we’ve been able to give back a little bit in the form of Ops, docs and general good-egg-ness.

I’d also like to point out that Richard’s work was made possible by a grant from the switched-on and forwards-looking Wellcome Trust. There’s a growing awareness among funders that software development is a cost-effective way to spend limited research money. Work like Richard’s is helping to make software devs first class citizens in the research funding landscape.