Ilastik won't start on Win8.1Pro since 1.3.0

ilastik

Hello world.
My Windows 8.1Pro workstations can’t seem to run any version of Ilastik after 1.2.0. (that is 1.3.0 , 1.3.2b3, and now 1.3.2rc1) When launching from Powershell the error messages below appear and the splash screen fails to display. Any hints as to what the culprit might be would be appreciated!

PS C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1> .\ilastik.exe
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy\core_init_.py”, line 16, in
from . import multiarray
ImportError: DLL load failed: The operating system cannot run %1.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\ilastik-meta\ilastik\ilastik.py”, line 123, in
main()
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\ilastik-meta\ilastik\ilastik.py”, line 66, in main
import ilastik_main
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\ilastik-meta\ilastik\ilastik_main.py”, line 5, in
import ilastik.config
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\ilastik-meta\ilastik\ilastik_init_.py”, line 145, in
check_depends()
File "C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\ilastik-meta\ilastik\ilastik_init
.py", line 138, in check_depends
import h5py
File "C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\h5py_init
.py", line 36, in
from ._conv import register_converters as register_converters
File “h5py\h5t.pxd”, line 14, in init h5py.conv
File “h5py\numpy.pxd”, line 66, in init h5py.h5t
File "C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy_init
.py", line 142, in
from . import add_newdocs
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy\add_newdocs.py”, line 13, in
from numpy.lib import add_newdoc
File "C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib_init
.py", line 8, in
from .type_check import *
File “C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy\lib\type_check.py”, line 11, in
import numpy.core.numeric as nx
File "C:\Program Files\ilastik-1.3.2rc1\lib\site-packages\numpy\core_init
.py", line 24, in
raise ImportError(msg)
ImportError:
Importing the multiarray numpy extension module failed. Most
likely you are trying to import a failed build of numpy.
If you’re working with a numpy git repo, try git clean -xdf (removes all
files not under version control). Otherwise reinstall numpy.

ilastik error:
The operation completed successfully.

Hey @BoZap,

that is really unfortunate! Thank you for gin through the trouble of trying multiple versions. The error looks really suspicious. I have tried to reproduce it on a windows machine (64 bit, windows 10 18.03) starting ilastik 1.3.2b3 from the Powershell and it works. Could you give us some more details about your machine?

Hi There @k-dominik, thanks for your quick response!
The machine is a Fujitsu Celsius R930power ruining 8.1 Pro on a 2-CPU XeonE5-3690 with 512GB RAM. The OS is thus 64 bit and it has an x64 processor. My GPU is an Nvidia Quadro K6000. The critical system updates are all up to date, as are all the drivers. The workstation isn’t my email/browser workstation so it’s mostly loaded with Image processing apps (Fiji, CP, Ilastik, Amira) but also Adobe CC, excel, PyThon 3.7.1 (I tried removing), Ilastik wise it’s got installed 0.5.12, 1.1.1, 1.1.4, 1.1.5, 1.1.8, 1.2.0, 1.3.0 1.3.2b3, and 1.3.2rc1 at this moment.
To be clear, the newer versions don’t launch any way I start them, I just mentioned launching from the powershell as the method I used to have the command prompt not disapear with the error message.

wow, you really got them all. I’m not quite sure how to get to the bottom of it, but I’ll try.

Thanks, yeah I’ve been running Ilastik for a while and keeping up with the improvements. FYI I also just tried rc2 you had posted for the halloween bug to no avail - same bug. Let me know if I can send any logs or anything else that would be of any use. I tried using the numpy lib folder inside “site-packages” from an older version but that didn’t work either - no sloppy hacks I guess :slight_smile:

HI @k-dominik, sorry to bug about this given this is free software that seems to work excellent for most everyone else, but would you have any hints as to what might be the issue on my end? Short of wiping my SSD and reinstalling the OS - which is not ideal - any advice on how to attempt troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

In principle the environments of the ilastik versions should all be isolated but one explanation for what you see there could be that there is multiple numpy packages in the path. :confused:

As for getting things to run, you could start by removing versions of ilastik (via add/remove programs), making sure that there isn’t any ilastik-folder in both C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86). I know that’s a pain :confused:

Then maybe cleanly install the latest ilastik version (1.3.2rc2) and see if this already is of help.

Dear @k-dominik @BoZap ,

I have the same issue here. Did you find any workaround ?
I uninstalled almost all software packages, uninstall all Ilastik versions, and reinstall latest version (1.3.2rc2) still get exactly the same error message as @Bozap on Windows 8.1

Thanks
Ofra

I’m afraid this is still not solved - sorry. Right now there are no known workarounds. We’ll try to get our hands on a Win8 machine in order to debug.

Thanks for the update

So we will try our best, but from the MS website:

Windows 8.1 falls under the same lifecycle policy as Windows 8, and will reach end of Mainstream Support on January 9, 2018, and end of Extended Support on January 10, 2023. With the general availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 have two years, until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 in order to remain supported.

Dear @Ofra_Golani @BoZap,

thanks again for raising this issue. Thanks to our wonderful IT dep. I got my hands on a Windows8.1 PRO VM. Unfortunatly ilastik 1.3.2rc2 just runs there for me (fresh windows install, fresh ilastik install). I’m afraid I don’t know how to help you.
Is your windows version 64 bit? (you can check by going to Control Panel\System and Security\System .

Dear @k-dominik,

Thanks for your prompt reply !
I have Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit

Ofra

@Ofra_Golani
Appears this is a case of missing dependency.

Please check if following file exists in your system VCRUNTIME140.DLL
It usually should be located at c:\windows\system32\VCRUNTIME140.DLL path.
If file is missing, then you should install Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package.

Thanks for the suggestion @m-novikov,
It indeed looks like a missing dependency, however, I do have both VCRUNTIME140.DLL and VCRUNTIME140d.DLL under c:\windows\system32

Check if there are any Intel MKL, C, or Fortran runtime DLLs in your Windows system directories (e.g. C:\Windows\System32): MKL*.DLL, LIBIO*.DLL, LIBMMD.DLL, LIBIF*.DLL, TBB*.DLL, SVML*.DLL. These DLLs can interfere with applications loading their own MKL DLLs. Try to rename/remove all of the found DLLs and run Ilastik again.

Erorr launching Ilastik on Win7 (64): from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication ImportError: DLL load failed

This solved the problem !
Thanks @cgohlke

thanks @cgohlke! I’m sure this will help a lot of users

Just got in and tried this right away. Can confirm that @cgohlke nailed it! On my end at least the culprit was libiomp5md.dll Thanks to @cgohlke and @k-dominik for helping us get the latest Ilastik on our Legacy 8.1 Pro systems going. Good lesson to bite the bullet and head for 10 soon however - certainly before deep Ilastik is out.

I’m not sure that win10 would have prevented it, maybe we just don’t see systems that old right now with so many DLLs… However, now that we know we have a problem with isolation, we can try to improve.