Ilastik app can't be opened on mac catalina

Hi, I have a working version of Ilastik on my mac (ilastik-1.3.2rc2-OSX on Catalina 10.15.3). I’ve tried to download a new version of ilastik a few times, but am getting a “can’t be opened” error. This does not appear to trigger mac security as I can’t allow it through the osx security & privacy settings. Here’s what the error looks like with a fresh download from either the main ilastik download link or from the mirror. I’ve tried this from home and from work so the network connections have been different:

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 4.52.55 PM

thanks for help with this problem! John

have you tried opening it with right-click and open?

I have. The error is slightly different:

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.15.16 AM

I’ve tried to download a few times. -John

this is a different download after right click > open:
Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 9.18.10 AM

hey @johnmc,

I found a this thread on StackOverflow where they claim the solution is changing the executable flag of the files in ilastik-1.3.3post2-OSX.app/Contents/MacOS/ folder. Would you be comfortable in trying this in the terminal?

okay hang on, I checked the files and they already have the right flags - sorry. Nothing to try out just yet

This sounds a lot like the problem that has recently beset QuPath on macOS… basically, you may be being thwarted by a recent security change and a resulting quarantine flag.

There are a couple of ways around it - none of them great, but they have worked for me. You can see them at https://qupath.readthedocs.io/en/latest/docs/intro/installation.html#macos

If it’s the same problem, I’d love to discuss with other open source developers here how to cope with this new security behavior on macOS…

1 Like

Hey @petebankhead, thanks a lot for picking this up, I was about to write to you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys, Thanks for looking at this. I’ve tried Pete’s suggestions, but they didn’t help. I did this:

curl -O https://files.ilastik.org/ilastik-1.3.3post2-OSX.tar.bz2
bzip2 -dc /Users/me/Desktop/ilastik-1.3.3post2-OSX.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

but I get the same error message as above (“can’t be opened” after right click > open or whatever).

Then I tried this:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /Users/me/Desktop/ilastik-1.3.3post2-OSX.app

but it didn’t help. I’ve get a call out to my IT/unix expert. If they have a helpful suggestion I’ll pass it along.

thanks again for your time. -John

thank’s a lot for letting us know @johnmc. On my mac (10.13.5) I can open it. Would appreciate any update from you!

ah, I should have asked IT first. Our company uses Cylance and it was blocking the install. Now it works! Sorry for the hassle. Love Ilastik, thanks for all the hard work! -John

1 Like

Didn’t know about Cylance! Great that you found the solution :)) have a great weekend!