Identifying labelled images

I am trying to analyze images which are already labelled with numbers. Is there a way to do measurements on each image based on their numbering? Kindly help.
Thank you.

Dear @Madhurya,

you can, for example, use MorphoLibJ to do measurements of label images.

Best,
Stefan

1 Like

Sir, thank you for helping out.

I also wanted to know if there is a way to display parameters of circles identified (like area) on the respective circle itself other than listing in a separate measurements table?

Thank you.

Dear @Madhurya,

first of all: I’d like to move out conversation over to the initial topic, if that is fine with you? This way, everyone could benefit from the solution that we come up with.

As far as I know, there is no readily available solution for that task. You could, however, create selections for individual objects in an image and set the labels of that selection to the value of its measurement. You can then show the selections with a label on an image, which should also show the label (ie. the measurement value).

That said, I currently don’t have time to work on that, since I am teaching a course this week and I will be on holiday the coming week. Hence, it would be good idea to continue our discussion, so maybe someone else with an idea could jump in and help you instead.

Best,
Stefan

Thank you Sir.

Regarding the 1st problem I asked, I was unable to decode the labels of images (already labelled) and find their parameters.(like area).

Regarding the 2nd problem, I was unaware of the Measure and Label plugin. So, now I could work with it. But, that needed manual selection everytime. So, will this be useful when we are doing batch Processing?

You should be able to automate that process with an ImageJ macro. Could you post an example image as well, please?

@stelfrich Sure Sir. One of the images I am analyzing is attached below.

labelled image

Thank you.

Is this the original version of the image you are trying to analyze? That is, a PNG file of the provided resolution with the annotations/labels in the image?

Best,
Stefan

@stelfrich Yes Sir, this is the original version of the image. I wanted to retain the labels within and find the parameters(like area) of the respective circles.

I would advise against doing quantitative analyses on an image that is as highly compressed as the one that you are showing here.

In addition, the labels that are drawn onto the image are mostly useless for automated analyses. If you want to keep the labels, you will have to identify the numbers from the images using an OCR (optical character recognition) algorithm. Based on the extracted number you could create selections that span the corresponding circle and do a measurement of that region. I am not aware of a plugin that automates the outlined process.

How did you get the circles and the labels on the images? In general, you can work with selections in ImageJ to quantify regions and add them subsequently to the overlay of an image to store them in TIFF files for inspection.

Best,
Stefan

2 Likes