Icy crashes when clicking 3D view (MacOS Catalina)

I have icy crashing every time I try to see the volume in 3D (Macbook Pro, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5). Icy opens fine, loads the images just fine but when I click the 3D button the program just crashes. Here’s the output when I run the app in the terminal (in case it helps):

Apple AWT Internal Exception: NSWindow drag regions should only be invalidated on the Main Thread!
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'NSWindow drag regions should only be invalidated on the Main Thread!'

*** First throw call stack:
(
0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff324cfbe7 __exceptionPreprocess + 250
1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff6b2a75bf objc_exception_throw + 48
2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff324f83dc -[NSException raise] + 9
3   AppKit                              0x00007fff2f6f6ddc -[NSWindow(NSWindow_Theme) _postWindowNeedsToResetDragMarginsUnlessPostingDisabled] + 310
4   AppKit                              0x00007fff2f6de842 -[NSWindow _initContent:styleMask:backing:defer:contentView:] + 1416
5   AppKit                              0x00007fff2f6de2b3 -[NSWindow initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:] + 42
6   libnativewindow_macosx.jnilib       0x000000016b1f56be Java_jogamp_nativewindow_macosx_OSXUtil_CreateNSWindow0 + 382
7   ???                                 0x0000000112d286c7 0x0 + 4610754247
)

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
1 Like

Dear niseto,

VTK (the library we are using for visualization) is often prone to crash on MacOSX. Internally it’s using OpenGL2 so maybe you can try to check if something can de done on the video card driver but honestly i’m not sure how much that can be fixed as i saw several topics about VTK issues on later OSX :

Also Icy is using the old VTK 6.3 version, i don’t have recent MacOS version here to test but maybe it’s not anymore supported on 10.15.5
Maybe some people having the same OS than you with a working Icy can provide more information about their system so you can spot the difference with your.

Best,

– Stephane

I think the crash is general. I could reproduce it on 3 difference Mac with 10.14 -> 10.15.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming @tinevez ! We will investigate the issue but it’s possible that VTK 6.3 is simply not anymore supported on newer OSX :-/
The solution would be to upgrade VTK version but that is something that always scary us a bit :sweat_smile:

Have you checked your Java version? I had a very similar Icy crash running Archlinux with java-14-openjdk. I tried with java-8-openjdk/jre (as recommended in the installation notes) and Icy/3D vtk visualization worked.

Best, Jose.