Hyper resolution image display

Hello,

I found this amazing
Rembrandt’s The Night Watch

This is a 48 Giga pixel image of Rembrandt’s 1642 painting accessible on the web and you can seamlessly zoom in and out with no noticeable delay for data loading. It should be equivalent to a 100 x 100 tiled image with 2048 x 2048 pixels.

Anyone knows how they do it and how this compares to our tools like Omero for accessing large images through the web?

best wishes

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

They appear to be using DeepZoom or OpenSeadragon technology. Those technologies rely on having the image tiles prepared on the server so they can slapped very quickly into a canvas in your browser, typically using Javascript. The main issue here is having all those tiles (typically in.jpg format) pre-computed on the server which is not too problematic to do but provides a mostly “static” view of the images you want to display. This is a different approach from OMERO, which dynamically generates the viewable images directly from the original source images on-demand.

The folks at CRS4 have built a OpenSeadragon viewer for OMERO, see: https://github.com/crs4/ome_seadragon
I don’t know anything about it but there are some folks on this forum who are using it: https://forum.image.sc/t/openslide-with-omero-web-to-render-images-not-renderable-by-bio-formats

Another really cool project is Harvard Med School’s Minerva which also uses OpenSeadragon to quickly render very large highly multiplex images to the browser and stores the tiles on AWS S3. See: https://www.cycif.org/software/minerva
They have the original images in OME-TIFF format on their OMERO server and use custom software to generate the visualization tiles together with a story about their data.

Cheers,
Damir

1 Like

The Gathering Of Tweakers has an article about it and in the (Dutch, Google translation) reactions in their forum, you can find numerous links to the making of and the techniques used to create this image.

OMERO relies on an image pyramid to be present, either built-in the image format or generated after import. The rendered tiles used in the image viewers are generated on the fly from those pyramids.

Here’s a couple examples from the IDR, these are both stored as single file pyramidal OME-TIFFs:

1 Like

Thanks Damir and eljonco for the additional information.

The first image from the IDR manics gives is even larger and loads almost as quickly, thanks for pointing this out. I think there is no need to use other technology and i will be more patient with the OMERO import as it needs to create the pyramids.

Andreas

1 Like

Note that IDR uses very aggressive caching and a highly optimized configuration so your experience on a regularly configured OMERO may lag a little in comparison.

In order to speed up the import you could consider converting your large images to OME-tiffs with pyramids. The Glencoe tools introduced here Converting Whole Slide Images to OME-TIFF: A New Workflow are quite efficient.

Cheers,
Damir

1 Like