How to stream videos in .cxd file format

Hello! Beautiful forum! I am a biologist/biochemist and in our lab we take a lot of videos of in-vivo experiment of thrombus formation with an Hamamatsu camera. The files are usually between 0.6 and 10 GB and are automatically saved to a NAS to which all members of the lab can connect to and download the files. However this is a very time consuming process, especially when you want only to show the movies, and not doing any serious work on it. So what I wanted to ask is if there is any way to stream the movies directly either from the NAS or even better directly on the web. For example something like streamable.com but that accepts cxd file. I guess a turnaround could be to convert the files first in AVI and then everything is much easier, but I was wondering if can be done with the native cxd. The NAS is linux based and in theory it should be possible to run Omero/Fiji in a docker (?) but I cannot go any further than installing docker itself. I hope this is the right section where to post all of this, otherwise please move it where it`s appropriate. Thanks in advance to anybody that is willing to help!
Alessandro

Hi @alessandro_zarpellon

If you want to try out OMERO in docker, the easiest starting point is something like the docker-compose snippet from https://www.openmicroscopy.org/explore/

A slightly more advanced version would be:

version: "3"

services:
  database:
    image: "postgres:9.6"
    environment:
      - POSTGRES_USER=omero
      - POSTGRES_DB=omero
      - POSTGRES_PASSWORD=omero
    networks:
      - omero
    volumes:
      - "database:/var/lib/postgresql/data"

omero:
    image: openmicroscopy/omero-server:5.4
    environment:
      - CONFIG_omero_db_host=database
      - CONFIG_omero_db_user=omero
      - CONFIG_omero_db_pass=omero
      - CONFIG_omero_db_name=omero
      - ROOTPASS=omero
    networks:
      - omero
    ports:
      - "4063:4063"
      - "4064:4064"
    volumes:
      - "omero:/OMERO"

web:
    image: openmicroscopy/omero-web-standalone:5.4
    environment:
      - OMEROHOST=omero
    networks:
      - omero
    ports:
      - "4080:4080"

networks:
  omero:

volumes:
  database:
  omero:

You’ll need to mount the NAS directory into the omero docker container though so that OMERO will be able to access the files and you’ll need to register those files with OMERO itself. We’re happy to help you work through that, if it’s the direction you’d like to go.

~Josh

Hi, @joshmoore
thank you for replying and sorry it took me so long to reply back! Anyway, for me this is very hard to understand, I mean I have a general idea of what docker can do, but there is no way I could do this by myself. When I was playing around with docker I downloaded fiji jdk7 but it was giving me an error such as “docker container fiji stopped unexpectedly” which I have no idea on how to debug.
What about trying to install just bio-formats? After all that is what i need to open cxd.
I really only need to stream the videos, not editing/manipulation of any kind. If OMERO is the only way then I will do it, but do you think there is anything else I can do that it`s easier?
Thank you

Hi @alessandro_zarpellon,

understood. This is something you should really only try if you are comfortable with the involved tech since there are security implications. You can certainly try bfconvert, e.g.:

bfconvert 'test&sizeT=10.fake' 'output.avi'

and then make that available for download. Let us know how that works.

Cheers,
~Josh