How to fix blur images?

Hi Guys,

I am currently working on fluorescent images to test suberin layers formation in roots. I got some blurry pictures and when I tried to reduce blur (Gaussian filters) it did not improve much the picture and also it reduced the fluorescence of the image. Is anyone has any ideas on how can I improve my pictures? I am still starting with imagej so any idea is highly appreciated. Please see an example of my images below. Thank you!
Test

Good day Juan,

your question has various aspects.

First and most important is: How comes that you think your images appear blurred.
I guess this is a question of image acquisition and I’m sure it can be improved.

Second, the easy to perform ways to reduce blur (Unsharp Masking) mean severe changes to the image which in most cases will lead to questionable scientific conclusions. Please take this aspect seriously!

Third, if image acquisition can’t be improved (e.g. images taken by space probes) inverse filtering is the way to go but it is difficult with respect to noise limits…

BTW, Gaussian filters are low-pass filters that increase blur.

Regards

Herbie

Hi Herbie,

Thank you very much for your reply. Maybe I was not clear in my previous post. With blurred image I meant the yellowish layer surrounding yellow cells (perhaps it is a problem of focus). This measurement is merely qualitative and I only intent to improve clearness of the picture. I will try with inverse filtering. Thank you!
Cheers,

Juan

Juan,

for inverse filtering you would need at least an estimate of the blurring function. I think it will be difficult to determine this function from your image.

I guess that what you call “yellowish layer surrounding yellow cells” is a 3D effect (unsharp border of cells). I don’t think that there is an easy way to get rid of it.

Did you try “Process >> Filters >> Unsharp Mask…” for greater sharpness?

Regards

Herbie

Hi Herbie,

I tried it and it helps a bit.
Thank you.

Juan

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.