How to convert the background of the image completely dark?

Good day,

if you can mathematically define “background” of your images, I may be able to tell you how to set it to zero!

Regards

Herbie

1 Like

Hello Dear Harbie,

Thank you for reply,
I am new to CellProfiler, I don’t know how to mathematically define background to zero if you could tell me provide me any material or links it would be of a great help.

Thanks,
Warm Regards

Dear,

these are your images. You know how they were acquired, you know what is of interest and what is not. So how do you expect that I can tell you what you consider background and how to define it?

This task is entirely your’s and it has nothing to do with software.
(Personally I’m not acquainted with CellProfiler.)

define background to zero

I didn’t write this. I wrote

mathematically define “background” of your images

This means that you have to formally tell what you consider background and what you consider foreground. Because computers understand only formal, i.e. in the end mathematical definitions, we need those.

Here is a possible result

that is mathematically defined but I have no idea whether it suits your needs.

Regards

Herbie

1 Like

Dear Herbie,

The Image was acquired by FESEM (Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope)
If I did the image professing in MATLAB code I can define the background pixel intensity to zero but i dont know how it is done in CellProfiller tool.
May I know how did you obtain the Image you have attached? Are you using the cell profiler tool or any other tool

Thanks and Regards.

If you know how to do it in MATLAB then tell us exacly how by posting the code!

As I’ve written I have no idea about CellProfiler, so I can’t help with finding a CellProfile-based solution.

Regards

Herbie

Dear Herbie,

I am looking different method.
I would surely share my final results and procedure in details when I am done

Thanks and Regards,

Hi,

If you know specific value below which is a background, you can simply subtract that value from the image (see https://forum.image.sc/t/cellprofiler-subtract-a-fixed-value-from-images/22478/2).

If you don’t know the background value, you may want to test Threshold module, to separate background from foreground. Output of that module is mask image by which you can multiply your original image (see ImageMath module) to get “completely dark background”.

1 Like

I fear you haven’t had a look at the image, that can’t be treated as you describe it.

The image has an extremely low S/N-ratio and requires much more processing than background subtraction or thresholding.

Furthermore, it is unclear to me whether background subtraction or division is adequate because I’m not an expert concerning FESEM.

Regards

Herbie

Herbie,

I agree, the image is kinda tricky and it requires some additional processing steps. However, the original question was how to convert background to 0 in CellProfiler. And

Thus I answered the asked question.

1 Like

Good day,

I think you indirectly refer to a language problem the OP seems to have …
(At least my interpretation of statements differs from yours.)

Besides, the OP appears not to be aware of principal limits of what he likes to obtain, but we shall see when the OP presents the results.

Regards

Herbie

1 Like

Hello Dear Dobrokhotov1989 and Herbie

Thank you for the suggestion I will look into the steps you suggested me.

Best Regards.

We are looking forward to seeing your results!

Herbie