How to Batch process Sholl Analysis (Tracings)

imagej
batch-processing
sholl-analysis
simpleneuritetracer

I’m trying automate analysis of tracings made in simple neurite tracer using sholl analysis(Analysis ▷ Sholl ▷ Sholl Analysis (Tracings)…). I’ve tried following the Sholl Analysis wiki but can’t figure it out. When I record a macro for the Sholl Analysis (Tracings) plugin I get this code:

run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...",
    "traces/(e)swc=[/Volumes/EZ Ext HD1/Quantification/^CSPG Coating Quant/98137 trace & sholl/B2-1-1//B2-1.50CSPG+RM.CS56.traces]
     image=[/Volumes/EZ Ext HD1/Quantification/^CSPG Coating Quant/98137 trace & sholl/B2-1-1//B2-1.50CSPG+RM.CS56.tif]
     center=[Center of soma] radius=1 enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most
     normalizer=Area/Volume show save
     directory=[/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/X/Desktop]");
selectWindow("Sholl profile (Log-log) for B2-1.50CSPG+RM.CS56.traces no-filtering (407.522,482.246,0.000)");

I’m wondering how I can make my life easier by making the file directory a generic one so I can just plug in files and not have to click all the options for each individual trace. Or even better, I would like to batch process this but that seems difficult with .tracings files.

Hi @Eric_Zluhan

So - I’ll just point you to an example script that uses Script Parameters to ask the user for input/output directories… You can find this example script in the Script Editor > Templates > ImageJ 1.x > Examples > Process Folder (IJ1 Macro). There is also a python example in there too!

With some modifications to grab your images and traces by adjusting the Script Parameters at the top to something like this:

// @File(label = "Input directory", style = "directory") input
// @File(label = "Output directory", style = "directory") output
// @String(label = "Traces suffix", value = ".traces") traces
// @String(label = "Image suffix", value = ".tif") image

So essentially - you can modify that code example and into your run() call, add something like this:

run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...", "traces/(e)swc=[" + input + "/" + traces + "] image=[" + input + "/" + image + "] center=[Center of soma] radius=1 enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most normalizer=Area/Volume show save directory=[" + output + "]");
selectWindow("Sholl profile (Log-log) for " + traces + " no-filtering (407.522,482.246,0.000)");

Again - you have to run/test it yourself… but maybe this will work for you.

eta :slight_smile:

This seems to be working for me. Thank you so much!

Hello, upon revisiting this code I’m having an issue with batch processing. Any idea why I’m getting this “Invalid image or invalid Traces file” prompt?

// @String(label = "Image suffix", value = ".tif") image

run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...", "traces/(e)swc=[" + input + "/" + traces + "] image=[" + input + "/" + image + "] center=[Center of soma] radius=1 include_only (basal) apical enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most normalizer=Area/Volume save directory=[" + output + "]");

Hi @Eric_Zluhan,

In your recent snippet the input variable is a directory path, and the traces variable an extension, so when you do input + "/" + traces you are effectively creating a file path that does not exist. E.g.,

input = "/path/to/my/home/directory"
traces = ".traces"
print(input + "/" + traces) // will print '/path/to/my/home/directory/.traces'

Hi I don’t quite understand the solution to your point. I’ve updated the code below to my best guess. The input parameter has to be called in this function as far as I can tell?

processFolder(input)

function processFolder(input) {
	list = getFileList(input);
	for (i = 0; i < list.length; i++) {
		if(File.isDirectory(input + File.separator + list[i]))
			processFolder(input + File.separator + list[i]);
		if(endsWith(list[i], traces))
			processFile(input, output, list[i]);
	}
}
function processFile(input, output, file) {
setBatchMode(true);
run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...", "traces/(e)swc=[" + input + "/" + traces + "] center=[Center of soma] radius=1 include_only (basal) apical enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most normalizer=Area/Volume save directory=[" + output + "]");

I think I had that code above written incorrectly @Eric_Zluhan… sorry for that! This script searches for .traces files and uses them for processing… so your processFile() function should look something like this:

setBatchMode(true);
run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...", "traces/(e)swc=[" + input + "/" + file + "] center=[Center of soma] radius=1 include_only (basal) apical enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most normalizer=Area/Volume save directory=[" + output + "]");
}

If you are ever not sure what file is being used at what point… especially in this case where the error is pointing to a file issue - add print() statements of the variable names - the directories and files themselves… to be sure the correct things are being called, etc. so… add

print("Input directory = " + input);
print("File = " + file);
print("Output directory = " + output);

to your processFile() function.

Is that more clear??

eta

Thanks, eta. Yes that makes more sense but still having an issue. When I put the print functions after the processFile function nothing happens (same as when I run the normal code). When I put the print functions right after the parameters i get an error for the file :

|Error:||Undefined variable in line 10:|
|---|---|---|
|||print ( "File = " + <file> ) ;|

processFolder(input)

function processFolder(input) {
	list = getFileList(input);
	for (i = 0; i < list.length; i++) {
		if(File.isDirectory(input + list[i]))
			processFolder(input + list[i]);
		if(endsWith(list[i], traces))
			processFile(input, output, list[i]);
	}
}

setBatchMode(true);
run("Sholl Analysis (Tracings)...", "traces/(e)swc=[" + input + "/" + file + "] center=[Center of soma] radius=1 include_only (basal) apical enclosing=1 #_primary=1 infer linear polynomial=[Best fitting degree] most normalizer=Area/Volume save directory=[" + output + "]");

@Eric_Zluhan

Put the print() statements WITHIN the processFile() function call… the code only knows what the file variable is within the scope of that function.

eta