The Chemical Biology & Therapeutics (CBT) department at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) in Cambridge has an exciting opportunity for a B.S. or M.S. level scientist. In this role you will be part of a highly innovative and multidisciplinary team in early drug discovery.
The candidate must have a core expertise in cell-based assay development & high-throughput screening, and solid experience with high-content imaging and image analysis. Your primary responsibility will be to develop disease-relevant cell-based assays for high-throughput screening and hit characterization, in close collaboration with our disease area partners.
The candidate is expected to work independently to design experiments, process large data sets, and interpret results. Other responsibilities include efficient communication of results and proposing next steps to team members.
- B.S. or M.S. in biology, biochemistry or related areas, and at least 3 years of hands-on experience in cell biology and cell-based assay development and screening
- Expertise in high content imaging and image analysis
- Proficiency in cell and molecular biology techniques including transfections (cDNA and siRNA), viral transductions, stable cell line generation and Western blotting
- Experience with other assay approaches relevant to drug discovery, such as protein-protein interaction, protein translocation and gene expression assays
- Understanding of up-to-date biological screening paradigms and readouts and a broad understanding of cellular biology
- Experience with complex cell models, such as primary cells, iPS-derived and 3D cell models, including scale-up
- Experience with automated systems for high throughput screening and associated instruments involved in liquid handling, compound transfer
- Ability to leverage multiple software tools relevant to image data workflows, including ability to quickly learn proprietary software
- Fluency and excellent oral and written communication skills in English (internal reports; presentations; external publications)
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills with proven ability to work in a cross-functional team environment