Hidden but macro callable Commands

@imagejan @haesleinhuepf

Do you know whether it is possible to have Commands that can be called from an IJ Macro, but that do not show up in the Fiji Menu tree?

Use case: I have my own GUI and just need the Commands such that whatever people do in my GUI can be recorded as a script.

1 Like

Hi @Christian_Tischer,

with the Command from Macro plugin by @uschmidt83 (comes via StarDist update site) you can, as discussed here:

Side topic: Is it maybe time to discuss how to call Ops from macro?

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Robert

1 Like

Looks interesting! Any ideas (@frauzufall) whether this functionality would be part of core Fiji at some point?

1 Like

Hey @Christian_Tischer,

how about we put it in ImageJ-legacy without bothering @frauzufall?

Would you mind sending a PR? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Cheers,
Robert

Unpopular opinion: is it maybe time to stay away from macro language altogether, and make the more powerful scripting languages easier to use for newbies, instead of implementing yet another workaround to the limitations of macros? :wink:

Joking aside: I really like your pragmatic approach to build bridges for really everybody.

Ops currently have a few wrinkles that make them overly complicated, and almost impossible to use without any knowledge of ImgLib2 API. Maybe we can work as a community on improving the situation here? Also, there’s scijava-ops around the corner, so the situation might improve soon.

1 Like

Joking aside: How can we achieve this? I’m definitely on board for making this happen, e.g. by improving auto-complete, documentation and interoperability.

And I believe, honestly, what we need the most is a strategy: What’s most important for the community of users? What’s most important for developers? How can we balance both?

1 Like