Help with creating a standalone .exe for PC

Hi,

I’m having trouble creating a standalone .exe for PC from the GitHub source code. I’m running Python 2.7.4 on a Windows7 64 workstation with all of the recommended packages. I can run CellProfiler.py just fine. Here’s the output I get when I attempt to build the .exe file:

c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler>python windows_setup.py py2exe msi
Nuageux not installed, no distributed support
running py2exe
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build\bdist.win-amd64
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build\bdist.win-amd64\winexe
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build\bdist.win-amd64\winexe\collect-2.7
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build\bdist.win-amd64\winexe\bundle-2.7
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\build\bdist.win-amd64\winexe\temp
creating c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler\dist
*** searching for required modules ***

c:\Documents\GitHub\CellProfiler>

The system hangs for about 20 seconds and returns me to the cmd prompt as shown above. I can run test setup.py files successfully with py2exe, so I’m guessing that something in the windows_setup.py file is causing the problem. I haven’t been able to find any documentation on a similar error. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Christina

Hi Christina,
I’ve managed to replicate this behavior and have posted a bug report: github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/issues/641. Stay tuned…
-Mark

Hi Christina,

It appears that the setup file included some dependencies that are part of a completely different development branch. We’ve now removed them so building should work now if you git pull or fetch from your cloned repo. If it still doesn’t build, I believe you can fix this by downloading/installing PyQT4 from here. Also, remember to delete the ‘build’ and ‘dist’ directories before rebuilding.

Regards,
-Mark

This issue has been resolved in CellProfiler 2.1 and later, new releases of which can now be downloaded from http://cellprofiler.org.