Help please starting Fiji/ImageJ in Win XP (32 bit)

I can’t get Figi/ImageJ to launch in Win XP. I removed all Java versions, CCleaner to clean files & Registry, restarted, installed Java 7, download both Figi, and Figi-NoJRE.

Figi logo would flash once less than 1 second…and Nothing.

I edited Environmental Variables by defining JAVA_HOME and added to PATH.
In Command.exe window, typing “Java” & “Java -showversion” respond correctly (i believe).
Running ImageJ-win32.exe now the FIGI flashes on a bit longer, but then still disappears…and nothing.

I copied ImageJ-win32.exe to debug.exe, and ran DEBUG.EXE with listings shown below.
((NOTE: In order for me to use Command.com window to CD in Figi folder for CLI, I had to copy/paste entire ‘-NoJRE’ version content into a new folder which I continued to work out of…I call… \FIGIJ ))

What am I missing ???
Is it memory isuue ?..Other ??

Thanks for looking --helping…

======================================================================
C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Best\My Documents\FIGIJ>debug.exe

C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Best\My Documents\FIGIJ>find_newest: searching ‘C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1
\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/java’ for 'jre/bin/client/jvm.dll’
find_newest: file not found: 'C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/java/jre/bin/client/jvm.dll’
find_newest: searching ‘C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/java’ for 'bin/client/jvm.dll’
find_newest: file not found: 'C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/java/bin/client/jvm.dll’
Detected ImageJ2
JRE not found in 'C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/jre’
No JRE was found in default locations
Available RAM: 2046MB, using 1224MB (maximum for 32-bit)
javaw -Dpython.cachedir.skip=true -Dplugins.dir=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ -Xmx1224m -X
incgc -XX:PermSize=128m -Djava.class.path=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/jars/imagej-launch
er-4.0.5.jar -Dimagej.dir=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ -Dij.dir=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\M
YDOCU~1\FIGIJ -Dfiji.dir=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ -Dfiji.defaultLibPath=bin/client/j
vm.dll -Dfiji.executable=debug.exe -Dij.executable=debug.exe -Djava.library.path=C:\DOCUME~1\STEVE
B~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/lib/win32;C:\DOCUME~1\STEVEB~1\MYDOCU~1\FIGIJ/mm/win32 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw
=true -Dij.debug=true -Dscijava.log.level=debug net.imagej.launcher.ClassLauncher -ijjarpath jars -i
jjarpath plugins net.imagej.Main
Warning: falling back to system Java

Did you download the right JRE. Don’t mix 32-bit and 64-bit!

Did you download the correct distribution. Again please download
the 32-bit bundled version of ImageJ/FIJI.

The error message indicates that no (evtl. suitable) JRE was found.

I believe so…
Here is the response from the “java -showversion” command line…and same info seen from Control Panel/Java Console…
"java version "1.7.0_79"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_79-b15)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode, sharing)"

Regarding your other comment, I’ve download both the 32-bit Bundled and No-JRE FIGI versions from links http://downloads.imagej.net/fiji/latest/fiji-win32.zip and http://downloads.imagej.net/fiji/latest/fiji-nojre.zip

To me it appears the bundled copies of the JRE are not found as you said, but if I understand correctly, once the JRE or JDK is not found in the default bundled location, then it looks to the JAVA_Home path pointing to the OS installed PATH environment variable location for another Java install. Is this what is meant when the DEBUG.EXE states “Warning: falling back to system Java” ??

I would say so. I would install the latest JRE which is 1.8.x.

Have a look at the FAQ’s, here:

Especially the section “Running”!

Unless I mis-read at Java (Oracle) site, Jave 1.7.x is the last version supporting Win XP. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I previously looked at FAQ’s, but I will re-look in case I missed something.

Correct. However, I believe that in practice, the latest versions of Java 8 do still work on XP, as alluded to here. So it’s worth a shot, maybe.

It should be the case, however, that the Windows 32-bit version of Fiji downloadable from http://fiji.sc/#download should “just work” out of the box without installing any other Javas. If not, then indeed maybe Java 8 is not working on XP anymore. (Current Fiji downloads bundle Java 8.)

You could also try downloading some of the Life-Line versions of Fiji from http://imagej.net/Fiji/Downloads, and see if those work any better.