Headlessly create a Dataset

I am trying to debug an issue with the synchronization between IJ1 and IJ2. This issue came up from PyImageJ, where the user took a numpy array wraped as a dataset, showed it in the IJ1 UI, and then ran an IJ1 plugin on it. This changed the display, but did not change the associated dataset.

I am attempting to replicate this purely on Java so I can debug it in an IDE. However, I’m having a hard time figuring out how to create a Dataset headlessly to get to the next step. What is the best way to do so? I tried making an array of doubles, but could not find a way of directly converting the array into a Dataset.

#@ DatasetService ds
Random r = new Random();
double[][] doubles = new double[512][512];
for (int i = 0; i < doubles.length; i++){
	for (int j = 0; j < doubles[i].length; j++)
	{
		doubles[i][j] = r.nextGaussian();
	}
}

dataset = ds.create(doubles)

does not work. Other things I’ve tried have not been headless, e.g. running ops to create images opens up an image display. Is there a simple way to do this?

You have DatasetService.create(RandomAccessibleInterval rai), which means you’d have to convert your double[] array into a RandomAccessibleInterval first.

We’re in #imglib2 land here. There is the ArrayImgs utility class that provides suitable methods:

#@ DatasetService ds

import net.imglib2.img.array.ArrayImgs

double[] pixels = [2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,5]
long[] dims = [3,4]
img = ArrayImgs.doubles(pixels, dims)

dataset = ds.create(img)

Creating an image with ImageJ-Ops is also headless usually. You might have been misled by the fact that the result of the evaluation of the last line in a script will be considered as an output (and therefore be post-processed, i.e. displayed) when the script doesn’t define own outputs and is run from the script editor.
You can avoid this by adding null as the last line of your script.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! That did the trick.

Thank you also for the explanation of how I was misled by the script evaluation. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that in the future.