Getting Maven to install a .jar in a sub-folder of plugins

maven
imagej

Hi all,
I notice that there was work regarding this aspect and now that I have moved to pom-scijava 21.0.0 I see that there is an imagej.app.subdirectory Woo! :tada:

Now I have experienced a couple of issues with it, because I get a NullPointerException when using Execution copy-jars of goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jar

First hint to the problem might be that we have our git repos in https, which might explain this error at the beginning of executing Maven build

[INFO] --- buildnumber-maven-plugin:1.4:create (default) @ DEVILS_ ---
[WARNING] Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository, proceeding with revision of UNKNOWN : 
No such provider: 's'.
[INFO] Storing buildNumber: UNKNOWN at timestamp: 1525178717480
[WARNING] Cannot get the branch information from the git repository: 
[WARNING] Cannot get the branch information from the scm repository, proceeding with UNKNOWN_BRANCH : 
[INFO] Storing buildScmBranch: UNKNOWN_BRANCH

Now the stack trace of the error is here

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jars (copy-jars) on project DEVILS_: Execution copy-jars of goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jars failed. NullPointerException -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jars (copy-jars) on project DEVILS_: Execution copy-jars of goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jars failed.
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:213)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:154)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:146)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:117)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleModuleBuilder.buildProject(LifecycleModuleBuilder.java:81)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.builder.singlethreaded.SingleThreadedBuilder.build(SingleThreadedBuilder.java:51)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.LifecycleStarter.execute(LifecycleStarter.java:128)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:309)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:194)
	at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:107)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.execute(MavenCli.java:993)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.doMain(MavenCli.java:345)
	at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:191)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:289)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:229)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:415)
	at org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:356)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginExecutionException: Execution copy-jars of goal net.imagej:imagej-maven-plugin:0.7.0:copy-jars failed.
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:145)
	at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(MojoExecutor.java:208)
	... 20 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.imagej.maven.AbstractCopyJarsMojo.installArtifact(AbstractCopyJarsMojo.java:183)
	at net.imagej.maven.AbstractCopyJarsMojo.installArtifact(AbstractCopyJarsMojo.java:139)
	at net.imagej.maven.CopyJarsMojo.execute(CopyJarsMojo.java:188)
	at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultBuildPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultBuildPluginManager.java:134)
	... 21 more
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/PluginExecutionException

And the culprit line seems to be https://github.com/imagej/imagej-maven-plugin/blob/caba6b33172a93b71f9d68536228c644bd79519f/src/main/java/net/imagej/maven/AbstractCopyJarsMojo.java#L183

So is there a way to just use the artifact version from our pom.xml rather than infer it from SCM? Or am I missing the shot completely!

All the best

I haven’t investigated this in-depth, @oburri, but I think we are looking at to separate issues.

Let’s first investigate the NullPointerException: is there another version of the DEVILS_ artifact already in the ImageJ/Fiji instance defined by imagej.app.directory? If so, what exactly is the filename?

Which Java version is Maven using (mvn -version should tell you)?

Hi,
@stelfrich, thanks for looking into this

There is no other version right now, the filename producdeb by the muild in my Maven folder is DEVILS_-1.0.1.jar

Maven is currently running JDK 1.8.0_144

I would finally like to point out that in version 19.0.0 of the pom-scijava everything works, though.

How exactly did you call Maven to generate the NullPointerException?

I called Build > Run As > Maven Build… with the default options from Eclipse

Sorry to ask the obvious, but where do you set imagej.app.directory and imagej.app.subdirectory? Do you also experience the issue when you start Maven from the command line?