FILE/open image command freezes on windows 10 creator?

imagej

after updating to windows 10 creator 1703, I can still continue to use my own macros with open image on it but the command under FILE/open freezes in the directory selection ???
how i can detect and solve this problem : any place for activating log file or seeing something ?

I have the same issue. Can anyone let us know how to fix this please?

FYI, I have more information on this issue…

• I reset Fiji’s preferences by going to Edit > Options > Reset
  • This reset my File > Open directory to my Fiji.app folder
  • This allows me to navigate through the Open window without any issue UNTIL I reach a folder that contains an image. When I navigate to a folder containing an image, the window freezes.

EDIT: More info…
I’ve confirmed that this DOES have something to do with the Windows 10 Creators update. I rolled back to the previous Windows 10 version and Fiji behaves normally.

That’s all I’ve got. Is someone able to help with this? I’d like to be able to use Fiji with the latest Windows.

Dear @loger35, dear @Jill_Marie_Hackett,

this bug has been reported to the OpenJDK developers who seem not to be able to reproduce the issue on their machines (see https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8178873 and https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8173471).

If this is indeed a bug in the JVM with Windows 10 Creator your best option is to downgrade to a previous Windows 10 version.

Best,
Stefan

Crapola, is there any way I could potentially provide more information? Or perhaps make sure that my set up is exactly like the one that apparently works?

You can generate a stack trace for the crash. For more details, see https://imagej.net/Troubleshooting#If_ImageJ_freezes_or_hangs. From that, we might be able to confirm, that the issue you are reporting actually has the same source as the OpenJDK bug report.

the bat process to analyse the stack trace is not up to date for a windows 10 environnment.
and as imagej freezes the shift+\ option is not functionning also…

to add some information: both version of imagej 1.51k + java 1.8.0_77 (64 bits) or + java_1.8.0_131 (32bits) freezes when i go to a directory with jpg or tiff image!

some detail of the configuration :
Detected ImageJ 1.x
Using JRE from ImageJ.cfg: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131
Found Java options in ImageJ.cfg: '-Xmx640m -cp ij.jar’
Invalid jre/: ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131/bin/server/jvm.dll’ does not exist!
No JRE was found in default locations
java -Xmx640m -Dpython.cachedir.skip=true -Dplugins.dir=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ -Xincgc -XX:PermSize=128m -Dsun.java.command=ImageJ -Djava.class.path=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ/ij.jar -Dimagej.dir=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ -Dij.dir=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ -Dfiji.dir=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ -Dfiji.defaultLibPath=bin/server/jvm.dll -Dfiji.executable=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ\debug.exe -Dij.executable=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ\debug.exe -Djava.library.path=F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ/lib/win64;F:\Stockage\imageJ\ij150_ss_java\ImageJ/mm/win64 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dij.debug=true -Dscijava.log.level=debug ij.ImageJ
Warning: falling back to system Java
Java HotSpot™ Client VM warning: ignoring option PermSize=128m; support was removed in 8.0
Java HotSpot™ Client VM warning: Using incremental CMS is deprecated and will likely be removed in a future release

Does the File>Open command freeze when the “Use JFileChooser to open/save” option is enabled in Edit>Options>Input/Output?

no the option is not activated.
the freezes occurs when images are presented in a directory up to this case we can move from one directory to anotther one!

in complement to the previous answer, if I activate this option the open command does not freeze during displacement through directories and to open a jpg image

Cross reference if someone stumbles over this issue:

I just installed FIJI and ran it for the first time. File - Open consistently resulted in FIJI quiting with no message or error approx one second after clicking Open. (I tried updating FIJI and Java and rebooting.)
I got the program to open files by disabling the “Use JFileChooser to open/save” option in the Edit>Options>Input/output dialog (also disabled “Use file chooser to import sequences” option).
Using Windows 10 Pro 10.0.15063 (latest as of current date (12 July 2017).
So I have the opposite problem as previous posters in this thread