FIJI versus ImageJ2 or ImageJ

imagej

Recently I’ve started using FIJI. Works well. However I hear that there are such variations called ImageJ2.
What is real fundamental difference of ImageJ2 when you compare it with FIJI and/or ImageJ?

Well, Fiji Is Just ImageJ, as it is ImageJ2 with plugins, and this includes ImageJ1 with a compatibility layer. See the ImageJ page for details.

got it. there is no fundamental difference.

Hi @1timur1

Just to clarify again. There is a fundamental difference between ImageJ v1.x and ImageJ2/Fiji, as the latter is a complete rewrite of the former. That legacy layer to which @imagejan refers was to preserve backwards compatibility so that old-style plugins/macros can still run.

You can always read even more details about ImageJ2 and all the goodies it brings here… ImageJ2: ImageJ for the next generation of scientific image data.

eta :slight_smile:

Hi all,

So is the last and best version to download FIJI or ImageJ2?

Cheers

Chloe

Good day Chloë,

with FIji you are mostly on the save side. If you prefer slim software, have a look at plain ImageJ.

Regards

Herbie

great thank you Herbie!

@chlochou

Fiji is ImageJ2. Ok - I know … this is a bit confusing - but you can read up on the ‘flavors of ImageJ’ here.

Fiji is just ImageJ2 (plus the legacy layer for ImageJv1.x-compatibility) - it is simply a distribution of ImageJ that comes with a bunch of plugins bundled - ready for you to use out-of-the-box. In general, we recommend downloading/using Fiji.

eta :slight_smile: