Fiji / ImageJ release versions

fiji
imagej

Hi all,

I would like to collect which tasks still need to be done to create an archive of specific release versions of Fiji / ImageJ. Any thoughts, github issues, …?

There might be tasks which take longer to finish like creating release notes etc. but the currently downloadable files could already now be archived with the version number shown in the status bar, no? This would make it possible for a computer department to use one specific named version which is not over 2 years old.

From developer perspective, the corresponding pom-scijava version number would also be super useful.

@turekg @ctrueden @fjug @tpietzsch @maarzt @haesleinhuepf @imagejan

Best, Deborah

0 Likes

The tagged releases of imagej/imagej and fiji/fiji define the versions of all components in the respective software. Due to the “unfinished” state of the Java-8 migration, the update sites do not reflect this currently, unfortunately. The Java-8 update site currently contains files for both ImageJ(2) and Fiji.

See @ctrueden’s list of priorities:

Other relevant (but maybe outdated) issues:

Oh, and I just discovered my new favorite open issue :laughing:

4 Likes

Thanks a lot, @imagejan.

Here are a couple of IMHO huge issues that need to be solved for us to truly achieve reproducible releases:

1. Core ImageJ and Fiji update sites fully driven by releases of net.imagej:imagej and sc.fiji:fiji, respectively. No one allowed to upload to the core sites directly. Otherwise, people “patch in” things on top, and the version number reported in the ImageJ status bar no longer reflects the reality of the installation.

2. Consider whether/how to report the version of sc.fiji:fiji in Fiji installations. Otherwise, there is no easy number summarizing the state of the Fiji components.

3. Fix, or work around, the showstopper Maven bug that causes depending on net.imagej:imagej to inherit different versions than the ones it itself believes it depends on due to the pom-scijava dependency management. See:

Sorry I don’t have time to elaborate or think about further right now.

@frauzufall Do you have a writeup somewhere detailing what you mean by “create an archive of specific release versions”? Because on the surface, the current Life-Line versions are archives of specific versions… what other requirements do you want to achieve?

1 Like

Thank you @imagejan and @ctrueden for all the details! I was not planning to put this on anyone’s agenda, just collecting the information because we get this asked sometimes.

@ctrueden With Life-Line versions do you mean the ones on the bottom of the download page? The newest one there is older than 2 years. I was wondering why the most recent downloadable Fiji versions (e.g. https://downloads.imagej.net/fiji/latest/fiji-linux64.zip) don’t get archived somewhere, e.g. with a timestamp (archive/fiji-linux64-20191010.zip). Or is there a place like this that I don’t know about?

1 Like

It’s a great thing to do. Could you file an issue in fiji/fiji tracking this as a blanket issue? Would be great to have a central place where we can plan out exactly what we want to achieve.

I think it’s just because no one ever thought to modify the machinery to do it. And potentially space concerns over time—those bundles are large, and updates get uploaded rather frequently, meaning it would add up quickly. But we currently have ~2TB of disk free, so my vote would be to start doing that ASAP, and worry about any space issues later.

2 Likes