Fiber Distribution

I am using a normal picture from a digital camera is that possible to find fiber distribution using Image J

I could imagine images where you could, and images where you couldn’t. Hard to say without more information or an example :slight_smile:

here is the image which I took from the camera
the read line which is shown in the picture has a length of 20mm

Wow. Well, that is already beyond my ability to analyze :slight_smile: But hopefully this gets the thread to the point where someone better can give you more useful advice!

I have attached my picture through email to take it as a reference

the dimension for the red line is 20mm

@Arsame2008

I’m also afraid this is beyond me a bit… but you could look into CT-FIRE to help segment your fibers and then measure, etc. It’s adapted for collagen fibers… but perhaps it can be used in cases like this as well?

thanks but my basic question is how can i find the distribution of fiber in using imaging

@Arsame2008

Ok… but how do you define ‘distribution’? And I think in any case… you’ll need to first segment your fibers.

by checking the density of the orentation and fiber length
can i count the no of fibers in specific area so that i can say the distribution in that area is more dense compared with the other area

If you need that much information, then I agree, segmentation is necessary, and going to be very difficult if the image posted is the original quality of the image. The tiles from JPEG encoding will make tracing a single fiber very difficult as the intensity of any fiber changes every 8 pixels. I didn’t do a great job with the pen tool, but this (the tiny red dots at the corners) highlights some of the areas where you can see the tiling and it’s impact on the fibers.

The similarity between the fibers and amount of overlap is also going to make things difficult… I can’t think of an easy way around that after the picture has been taken. Beforehand, it might be better (if possible) to spread the fibers out more in a uniform fashion, or somehow generate a brighter, higher contrast image.

1 Like

what about these images I have taken using light at the back and iPhone 7+ mobile camera
can you give your suggestion

Hello Arsame2008,
I would try using Image > Type > 32 bit, then use a LUT which will show distribution. From those you may be able to see more clearly what it is you are looking for. Also in Analyze > Directionality will give you quite a bit of information on orientation.
In images such as the ones I see here, most of the fibers extent beyond the boundry so you may have to settle on just the percentage of the area in the image, just convert to binary and use Analyze Particles.
Hope this helps a little,
Bob

1 Like

in using LUT which type is better to figure the distribution clearly
i have tried to analyse the particles but i could’t able to find its length only the cross-section is operating

how can i see the good and bad dispersion for my pictures

is there any one who can help me how to count the distribution of fiber in the picture i posted