Feret's Diameter

Hi,

I like to measure length and width of leaves. The module I used in CP was: MeasureObjectSizeShape with MajorAxisLength and MinorAxisLength. They not really fit to my perception of the length and width of the leaves. Are there other options to measure the size of objects? I tried the Feret’s diameter in ImageJ and it is very close to what I want but I like to use CP instead of ImageJ. Will the Feret’s diameter be incorporated in future or are ther other options?

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

We can certainly add it in, but just to be clear: Are you referring to both the minimum and maximum Feret diameters (such as that described here)?
-Mark

Hi Mark,

That would be great!
Indeed I’m referring to the minimum and maximum Feret diameters as described. It is important that the length measurements are orientation independent.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Hi Peter,

We have just implemented the Feret diameters into CP. If you’re daring, you can try it out with our latest public build from source code here. The trunk build is not as heavily vetted as our releases, so you should take that into account; please note the caveats mentioned on the page linked.

Regards,
-Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot. I love to test it but I’m using a 32 bit Windows machine. As far as I can see there are new Macintosh and Win. 64 bit versions. Is it possible for you to compile a 32 bit version?
Thank you for the support!

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for pointing that out; our build server had gotten hung up but we didn’t notice. If you go back to that page, you should see the latest CP for Win x32.

Regards,
-Mark

Hi Mark,

I downloaded the new CP and tested the Feret Diameters. It is exactly what I wanted. Thank you (and Lee) very much!

Regards,
Peter