Fatal SCIFIO "update"

FYI, I googled info that scifio can export jpeg2000 via “file/export”, and since that file operaton was missing in my fiji, I checked the scifio-dev fiji updater site box, it added a slew of files, and, POOF, my fiji app was DEAD.
I get the splash screen, and fiji dies immediately.
I tried to delete all files with today’s datestamp- still dead. I deleted the dot.gz manifest- still dead.

While I’m downloading, reinstalling, and trying to figure out all the custom plugins I need to move, wouldn’t it make sense to:

1. have descriptions for the various “update sites” in fiji (to avoid the need to TRY a download to see what all it is and can do). This can be a hyperlink to info site vs download. The table is half empty, after all…
  2. have a list of files for UNINSTALLING the updater site plugins (or true uninstaller)

My latest readings suggest bioformats can directly export jpeg2000 via its export options. I will avoid scifio at all costs.

Next time, I suggest making a copy of your Fiji installation before enabling additional update sites.

As stated on the wiki:

Update sites are a fantastic way to get new functionality in your ImageJ app.
Unfortunately they are also one of the easiest ways to break an installation, by adding an update site that clashes with another update site, or even the ImageJ core.
So, before enabling a new update site, it’s safest to back up your installation.

This is supposed to be the tooltip which pops up, but there is currently a bug which erroneously displays the “maintainer” column of the table instead. PRs welcome.

Agreed that the updater could be much smarter when disabling an update site. Unfortunately, the reality is that implementing this feature would be a substantial effort.

I understand your frustration. However, please realize that your problem does not stem from SCIFIO, but from the SCIFIO-dev update site, which is generated automatically and probably ships incompatible libraries at the moment. I will delete this update site now, since we are not actively pushing new features right now, and hence it really has no advantage.

1 Like