Exporting positive/negative classifications as binary

Hi Qupath community,

I’m trying to export two classifications (“Positive,” “Negative”) from an image within my project as a binary mask - ideally one layer per classification. Each classification corresponds to a type of cell from a large slide of a liver. The “Positive” events describe a type of cells that group into a circular shape, which I plan to quantify the morphology of using basic Python-based OpenCV image processing.

I’ve tried several approaches with limited success:

I started here: Exporting annotations — QuPath 0.2.3 documentation

First I tried exporting a full labeled image: Exporting annotations — QuPath 0.2.3 documentation

def imageData = getCurrentImageData()

// Define output path (relative to project)
def outputDir = buildFilePath(PROJECT_BASE_DIR, 'export')
mkdirs(outputDir)
def name = GeneralTools.getNameWithoutExtension(imageData.getServer().getMetadata().getName())
def path = buildFilePath(outputDir, name + "-labels.tif")

// Define how much to downsample during export (may be required for large images)
double downsample = 8

// Create an ImageServer where the pixels are derived from annotations
def labelServer = new LabeledImageServer.Builder(imageData)
  .backgroundLabel(0, ColorTools.WHITE) // Specify background label (usually 0 or 255)
  .downsample(downsample)    // Choose server resolution; this should match the resolution at which tiles are exported
  .addLabel('Negative', 1)      // Choose output labels (the order matters!)
  .addLabel('Positive', 2)
  .multichannelOutput(true) // If true, each label refers to the channel of a multichannel binary image (required for multiclass probability)
  .build()

// Write the image
writeImage(labelServer, path)

print("Done!")

This code runs without producing any errors, but the resultant .tif file has only zeros as pixel values (black.)

I next tried exporting labeled tiles using this code: Exporting annotations — QuPath 0.2.3 documentation

import qupath.lib.images.servers.LabeledImageServer

// Define output path (relative to project)
def name = GeneralTools.getNameWithoutExtension(imageData.getServer().getMetadata().getName())
def pathOutput = buildFilePath(PROJECT_BASE_DIR, 'tiles', name)
mkdirs(pathOutput)

// Define output resolution
double requestedPixelSize = 2

// Convert to downsample
double downsample = requestedPixelSize / imageData.getServer().getPixelCalibration().getAveragedPixelSize()

def labelServer = new LabeledImageServer.Builder(imageData)
    .backgroundLabel(0, ColorTools.WHITE) // Specify background label (usually 0 or 255)
    .downsample(downsample)    // Choose server resolution; this should match the resolution at which tiles are exported
    .addLabel('Negative', 1)      // Choose output labels (the order matters!)
    .addLabel('Positive', 2)
    .multichannelOutput(true)  // If true, each label is a different channel (required for multiclass probability)
    .build()

// Create an exporter that requests corresponding tiles from the original & labeled image servers
new TileExporter(imageData)
    .downsample(downsample)     // Define export resolution
    .imageExtension('.tif')     // Define file extension for original pixels (often .tif, .jpg, '.png' or '.ome.tif')
    .tileSize(512)              // Define size of each tile, in pixels
    .labeledServer(labelServer) // Define the labeled image server to use (i.e. the one we just built)
    .annotatedTilesOnly(false)  // If true, only export tiles if there is a (labeled) annotation present
    .overlap(0)                // Define overlap, in pixel units at the export resolution
    .writeTiles(pathOutput)     // Write tiles to the specified directory

print 'Done!'

This code also runs without producing any errors. The original image will export as tiles, but the labelled image has only zeros as pixel values (black.)

I tried a few other approaches I found online, with limited success:

This produces a black/white image of the annotation that describes the shape of the liver, but does not provide information on classifications:

Thank you for any help you can provide! I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I’ve presented this question incorrectly.

Best,

Meredith

I suspect the main issue is that the label server defaults to expecting annotations, and you are trying to use detections (cells).
Note the line

Have a look here, the whole thread might be useful, but your final approach will likely be similar to the linked post. You may be able to set the boundaries to 0 instead of some additional value.

Hi Research_Associate,

Thank you for your response. I have combined the tiled, labelled image export from the documentation with a script from the post you have linked. Here is my final script, should anyone be interested:

/**
 * Script to export binary masks corresponding to all annotations of an image,
 * optionally along with extracted image regions.
 * Note: Pay attention to the 'downsample' value to control the export resolution!
 * @author Pete Bankhead
 */

import qupath.lib.images.servers.ImageServer
import qupath.lib.objects.PathObject

import javax.imageio.ImageIO
import java.awt.Color
import java.awt.image.BufferedImage

// Get the main QuPath data structures
def hierarchy = imageData.getHierarchy()
def server = imageData.getServer()

// Request all objects from the hierarchy & filter only the annotations
def annotations = hierarchy.getAnnotationObjects()

// Define downsample value for export resolution & output directory, creating directory if necessary
def downsample = 4.0
def pathOutput = buildFilePath(QPEx.PROJECT_BASE_DIR, 'masks')
mkdirs(pathOutput)

// Define image export type; valid values are JPG, PNG or null (if no image region should be exported with the mask)
// Note: masks will always be exported as PNG
def imageExportType = 'JPG'

// Export each annotation
annotations.each {
    saveImageAndMask(pathOutput, server, it, downsample, imageExportType)
}
print 'Done!'

/**
 * Save extracted image region & mask corresponding to an object ROI.
 * @param pathOutput Directory in which to store the output
 * @param server ImageServer for the relevant image
 * @param pathObject The object to export
 * @param downsample Downsample value for the export of both image region & mask
 * @param imageExportType Type of image (original pixels, not mask!) to export ('JPG', 'PNG' or null)
 * @return
 */
def saveImageAndMask(String pathOutput, ImageServer server, PathObject pathObject, double downsample, String imageExportType) {
    // Extract ROI & classification name
    def roi = pathObject.getROI()
    def pathClass = pathObject.getPathClass()
    def classificationName = pathClass == null ? 'None' : pathClass.toString()
    if (roi == null) {
        print 'Warning! No ROI for object ' + pathObject + ' - cannot export corresponding region & mask'
        return
    }

// Create a region from the ROI
    def region = RegionRequest.createInstance(server.getPath(), downsample, roi)

// Create a name
    String name = String.format('%s_%s_(%.2f,%d,%d,%d,%d)',
            server.getMetadata().getName(),
            classificationName,
            region.getDownsample(),
            region.getX(),
            region.getY(),
            region.getWidth(),
            region.getHeight()
    )

// Request the BufferedImage
    def img = server.readBufferedImage(region)

// Create a mask using Java2D functionality
    // (This involves applying a transform to a graphics object, so that none needs to be applied to the ROI coordinates)
    def shape = RoiTools.getShape(roi)
    def imgMask = new BufferedImage(img.getWidth(), img.getHeight(), BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_GRAY)
    def g2d = imgMask.createGraphics()
    g2d.setColor(Color.WHITE)
    g2d.scale(1.0/downsample, 1.0/downsample)
    g2d.translate(-region.getX(), -region.getY())
    g2d.fill(shape)
    g2d.dispose()

// Create filename & export
    if (imageExportType != null) {
        def fileImage = new File(pathOutput, name + '.' + imageExportType.toLowerCase())
        ImageIO.write(img, imageExportType, fileImage)
    }
    // Export the mask
    def fileMask = new File(pathOutput, name + '-mask.png')
    ImageIO.write(imgMask, 'PNG', fileMask)

}

This takes a Qupath image with a labeled region “Positive” and exports the original image and an image consisting of the labeled positive events in tiles.

Best,

Meredith

2 Likes