Error when exporting to database in HPC cluster

cellprofiler

Hi,

I keep getting an error when running the export to database module in the high performance computing cluster at our institution. The main error it throws up is:

Error detected during run of module ExportToDatabase
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/pipeline.py”, line 1779, in run_with_yield
self.run_module(module, workspace)
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/pipeline.py”, line 2031, in run_module
module.run(workspace)
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py”, line 2161, in ru
n
self.connection.get_state())
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py”, line 2174, in ha
ndle_interaction
return self.handle_interaction_execute(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py”, line 2188, in ha
ndle_interaction_execute
commands.execute_all(cursor)
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py”, line 4715, in ex
ecute_all
execute(cursor, query, binding)
File “/home/nel56/.conda/envs/cellprofiler/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py”, line 275, in exe
cute
cursor.execute(query)
OperationalError: disk I/O error

So I think the main problem is the OperationalError: disk I/O error. I have no idea why this is coming up, but the result is an empty database, and no CellProfiler Analyst properties file, which is what I really need.

Does anyone have any ideas? I really need this to work. I have attached the pipeline from the CellProfiler GUI and the full output from the cluster.

Cheers,

EdLynseydata.cpproj (159.4 KB)
FullOutput from CellProfiler Ed 1.pdf (62.9 KB)

Hi Ed,
I’d check that your temp directory, e.g. see below, has enough space. The Cpmeasurements hdf5 files can be voluminous. And/or that you have write permission. Either could be the cause of the Disk I/O error.

/localscratch/user_scratch_files/1377246.1.bigmem.q/CpmeasurementsgftGVH.hdf5

David

Hi David,

Thanks for this. Turns out it was an error between the shared lustre and the NFS, meaning it couldn’t write to the temp directory. IT administrators found a workaround using the -o command switch and copying back to my home directory.

Cheers!

Ed