Error in building PVCAM when installing micro-manager

Hi
I’m trying to install micro-manager on ubuntu 16.04
I followed the instruction in this Link:
https://micro-manager.org/wiki/Linux_installation_from_source_(Ubuntu)
everything goes smoothly until I get to the part of the actual installation (“sudo make install”), then I get an error regarding the PVCAM drivers (which are installed):
"
PVCAMUniversal.cpp: In member function ‘int Universal::ProcessNotification(const NotificationEntry&)’:
PVCAMUniversal.cpp:3658:19: error: ‘md_frame_header_v3’ does not name a type
const md_frame_header_v3* fHdr3 =
^
PVCAMUniversal.cpp:3662:26: error: ‘fHdr3’ was not declared in this scope
(ulong64)fHdr3->exposureTime );
^
Makefile:595: recipe for target ‘PVCAMUniversal.lo’ failed
make[2]: *** [PVCAMUniversal.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pb/mm/micro-manager1.4/DeviceAdapters/PVCAM’
Makefile:652: recipe for target ‘install-recursive’ failed
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pb/mm/micro-manager1.4/DeviceAdapters’
Makefile:521: recipe for target ‘install-recursive’ failed
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

"

I’ll appreciate any help about the source of the problem and what can be done

Thank you
Rotem

Hi Rotem,

I’m not familiar with the build process for Micro-Manager 1.4, however I do notice that some changes were recently made to the PVCam device adapter. They were added to Micro-Manager 2 on March 9th so they were probably added to 1.4 around the same time.

Could you try building from an earlier revision of the source code and see if you still have issues?

–Nick

Building PVCAM adapter on Linux newly requires Photometrics PVCAM runtime and SDK installed. It is not taken from 3rdpartypublic repo. The ‘md_frame_header_v3’ structure has been introduced on Linux in PVCAM 3.9.4.1.

Thank you for your replies!
PVCAM SDK is installed but I have PVCAM version 3.8.4.4. Is it impossible to use this version with mm on Linux?
meanwhile I’ll try an older revision of mm.

MM source code and PVCAM version need to be in sync. So, with MM source as of last week or so, you need PVCAM 3.9.4.1, for later versions you can use 3.8.4.4 (and I presume that 3.9.4.1 will also work). Is there anything preventing you from installing PVCAM 3.9.4.1?

If you are unable or not allowed to update to PVCAM 3.9.4.1 your only option is to use up to date svn on trunk and manually revert changes from revision 17414. The PVCAM metadata v3 is needed only with Photometrics Kinetix camera at the moment, so it should be safe with all others.
Rolling whole svn back to older revision will result in PVCAM adapter not being taken to build or build failure.

Thank you all for your replies and assistance!
I’m using a slightly older PVCAM version since that’s the one the company provides us (it came with an extra feature not included in the public version).

I managed to get micromanager working with our Photometric camera by changing the problematic file “PVCAMUniversal” to not considering v3 as Tomas suggested, then following the installation step provided by mm.
I didn’t manage to install an older mm version so I don’t know if it would help or not.

Thank you again!

Hi @rotem_perel,

Slightly unrelated, does the display in Micro-Manager (i.e. can you see the images you acquire) work? Asking since it does not work for someone else running on linux, and trying to figure out what the problem may be.

Yes, the display is working. No special hardware configuration was needed except choosing the camera, for the camera I use at least.