Open position in New York - Data Scientist
-Large scale imaging acquisition, data handling and quality assessment
Please apply at:
The New York Stem Cell Foundation (NYSCF) Research Institute is a rapidly growing and highly successful nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate cures through stem cell research. NYSCF is seeking a Data Scientist to join the High-Content Screening program to manage microscopic image acquisition, data handling and quality analysis of large datasets to facilitate an ongoing collaboration with scientists at a world leading technology company. This position will report directly to a senior NYSCF investigator and will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of biologists, automation specialists, and researchers and engineers at GAS.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated applicant with an advanced degree in computer sciences, life sciences or biomedical engineering. A strong background in microscopic image acquisition, data analysis and data management is an absolute requirement. The successful applicant must be able to work independently as well as be a strong member of a scientifically and geographically diverse team. Excellent analytical and communication skills are a must.
- Manage image data acquisition, storage, quality analysis and transfer.
- Develop quality control and data visualization tools for the development and operation of high-content screening systems.
- Work with large, complex image data sets.
- Communicate technical results and methods clearly, as well as interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- B.S., M.S. and/ PhD degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, computational biology, biomedical engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or similar) or equivalent practical experience.
- 2+ years experience with:
- Python or similar.
- Exploratory and statistical data analysis (such as linear models, multivariate analysis, predictive modeling and stochastic models).
- Experience extracting and cleaning data sets.
- 1+ years of relevant work experience (i.e., as a biomedical engineer, data scientist, computational biologist), including experience with statistical data analysis.
- Solid Data Science Python experience (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Scikit-Learn, Matplotlib etc.)
- Familiarity with scientific image analysis tools (ImageJ, FIJI)
- Familiarity with software engineering practices and experience developing production software.
- Familiarity with microscopes, scientific imaging and image analysis
- Familiarity with cell biology
- Demonstrated willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.