Data Science and Applied AI Postdoctoral Scholars Program: University of Chicago
Deep Learning, NLP, and Children’s Education
Through the Data Science and Applied AI Postdoctoral Scholars Program at the University of Chicago, we would like to hire a postdoctoral fellow skilled in computational science who is interested in applying deep learning, computer vision, and natural language processing to social science questions that impact the lives of children. The position would be initially for one year and is extendable to up to three years. The position will initially focus on developing and implementing methods to measure implicit messages about gender and race in visual content. Our initial goals are to: 1) implement and adapt existing methods, and 2) pioneer new methods for measuring these messages. The successful candidate will develop and implement a suite of methods for machine-led text analysis and image classification that will allow scholars to measure the levels of these and other messages in a wide range of visual content. The successful candidate will be immersed into an interdisciplinary environment working closely with a team of computational scientists, application developers, and social scientists.
Through this program, postdoctoral scholars will have the opportunity to extend and deepen scientific, technical, and communication skills by devoting 50% of their time to collaborative work on cutting-edge research projects, while having the freedom to pursue their own research interests; their remaining time is allocated to work on their own independent projects. There are no teaching responsibilities associated with the position. To read about all of the benefits and features of the program, see the full call here: https://cdac.uchicago.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/UChicago-Data-Science-Postdoc-Call-AY2020-21-2-1.pdf. The position carries a competitive salary, generous research funding stipends, and benefits.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Computational Social Science, or related field by the start date of the scholarship
- Programming experience and skills (Python and Jupyter/IPython Notebook)
- Knowledge of and working experience machine learning/deep learning algorithms and models and underlying computational and probabilistic statistics
- Experience building machine learning solutions over open source platforms such as SciKit-Learn, Tensorflow, and/or Torch
- Strong background in image processing, computer vision, text analysis, deep learning and/or pattern recognition
- Experience of Python development in both Windows and Linux environment
To apply: Please submit your application via https://cdac.uchicago.edu/engage/fellowships. The deadline for applications is January 31st, 2020. Applications should include:
- Curriculum vitae;
- A one-paragraph summary of the candidate’s current research;
- Research statement that outlines research goals, potential projects of interest, and motivation for seeking a postdoctoral appointment at UChicago (maximum of 3 pages);
- 1-2 representative publications;
- Three letters of reference;
- Name of potential UChicago faculty mentor (for this project, indicate Anjali Adukia and H. Birali Runesha);
- (Optional) Applicants are encouraged to include a letter of collaboration from a UChicago faculty mentor who has agreed to mentor the applicant if the scholar is accepted into the program.