Crop Imagery - image processing procedures to count crops in image area

Hi everyone,

I need your assistance and guidance.
I have a B-G NIR camera that i use to fly over agricultural crop acres that I use to look at crop health using NDVI imagery… A friend indicated that he thought ImageJ has the ability to process a stitched raw NIR image or NDVI image (the following items may be out of order, if so… please correct me) to draw a line around around each visible crop circumference, convert the image to black and white, de-speckle the image, fill-in each crop circumference/circle with black, then counts the black circles on a white background and creates an exportable spreadsheet (ie: Excel csv) that will give me a total crop count (ie: each crop is exported on a separate row… so the total number of rows is the number of black circles counted on the image) (ie: the number of crops in the image).

If you could provide the steps/procedures to do so, i would be very grateful. If there is a better or more simple way, i’m open to suggestions.

Thank you very much for your guidance and input.
It is MUCH appreciated.

Hi @Lhansen,
Your goals seem to be achievable, ff you are able to provide us with an example picture, we should be able to work out an solution with ImageJ or KNIME.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be FABULOUS!

I have uploaded 2 sample images both taken at 50’ altitude.

One NIR and the other NDVI. Which format is required for ImageJ to begin the processing process? NIR or NDVI? I assume NDVI?..

The iOS autopilot app, that i am using is “Maps Made Easy” - and I use it to autopilot flying ranch ground areas (at 1 set altitude) in a grid/overlap pattern … for the small sample area flown… the attached imagery was taken with a 70% overlap.

The thing i don’t yet know, for sure (for this plant size roughly 4"-5" in diameter)… is 50’ flight altitude the best altitude to properly “see” and ImageJ properly see/process each plant?.. or… can i fly higher altitude and maintain good enough resolution to process those images clearly? The higher i can fly the better… requires less battery life, i can fly more ground area, requires less pictures to stitch together, etc…

I’m using a modified 12mp 4000x3000 DJI Xenmuse with B G NIR lens.

I hope i have explained this clearly. Thus the reason i’m exploring the ImageJ software and wanting to identify the procedures to maniplate the images to hopefully get the desired results… which is to crop a flight area and then count the plants in the area flown.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Here is the NIR pic of the same area as the NDVI but i cropped the image to show the bottom section of the image because the original NIR file size was of 50mb… so this one is just under 7mb and hopefully much easier to work with…

HI @Lhansen,
You uploaded jpeg files, is this how the files are exported by the maps made easy application? Do they offer any lossless file format? Higher resolution images would be great, you might need to upload the images to an external host like Dropbox or Google Drive.

Regarding your question, do you only need to know the number of crops? Or do you require additional features for each crop?

1 Like

Here is a print screen of the “save as” file types available in the “Maps Made Easy” website.
Let me know which one, if any, you would like and i’ll upload it/them.

I you have a suggestion for an alternate website for stitching and/or high quality file creation, let me know.
I’m happy to begin using them.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help.

The helpdesk at “Maps Made Easy” indicates that all of the TIF images are lossless.
Which image type would you like me to upload? GeoTiff, NDVI GeoTIFF, DEM, Colorized DEM GeoTiff ?
Or if there is a different online service or pc software that is better suited for stitching and lossless images - let me know and i’ll aquire it and upload it.
Thanks again.

I think the NDVI GeoTIFF and the GeoTIFF are interesting, looking at their description on https://www.mapsmadeeasy.com/api_info .

It looks like the NDVI GeoTIFF may be better suited for NIR imagery… my fingers are crossed…

However, when trying to upload the NDVI GeoTIFF.tif file… I receive this message…

So, i zipped it and now receive this message…

Any suggestions in how best to get these files to you?

@Lhansen I upgraded your trust level to 2. Hopefully attaching the ZIP will work now!

as of 1:34p Mtn Std Time
Thanks for the assistance. I receive this message when trying to upload the zip file.

Hmm, that’s too bad. You could maybe refresh your browser, then try one more time. And if that doesn’t work, you could always share the link via Dropbox or similar cloud service.

Just logged out, then back in. Looks like it is working fine. File uploaded.

OK, fantastic. Thanks.

ctrueden - I did upload the *.zip file but i don’t see it on the forum. When uploading a zip file is it visible? The reason i’m asking is the user gab1one has been assisting me and i want to make sure he can see the uploaded zip file. Also, earlier today i tried to upload it again and the % complete gets up to 20%… then the progress indicator starts over at 5% an cycles through again and again… So maybe the original attempt at uploading the zip file didn’t actually upload. Thanks again for your assistance.

Here is a smaller section of the larger NDVI GeoTIFF image…

NDVI GeoTIFF smaller section new.zip (9.1 MB)

Hi @Lhansen, regarding your uploading trouble, I fear the forum software is not that tolerant of large files, so an external service makes a lot more sense.

Can you also please upload the NIR Pic? A section should be enough.

2 files. *.jpg and *.tif

NIR camera - 51’ altitude small area.zip (31.1 MB)

i’m going to be working to better calibrate the camera tomorrow in hopes of separating the colors of the plants from the soil. I’ll upload better pics then. Thank you.