Creating Plugin for NeuroData Without Borders TwoPhotonSeries

I am interested in building a plugin to read NWB TwoPhotonSeries files. These are hdf5 files where potentially very large data is stored in a slightly customizable way.

The metadata should be parsable in a standard way. The data itself could be stored in several ways, and I’d like to support two of them (in priority order):

• a giant array, loaded as a virtual stack. I’d like to have options to choose the data layout (TZYX, ZTYX, etc)
  • a set of relative filenames denoting tiff files, which will need to be ordered.

What would be the right starting point? I see a HDF5 plugin, but it doesn’t understand the NWB hierarchy, plus it attempts to load the full dataset into memory. I’ve liked the experience of loading h5 stacks (ims files) where I get a lot of options about how to load the hyperstack, how to slice the data, etc.

1 Like

Hi @chris.roat,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not super deep in bio-formats, but I’d recommend using that infrastructure if you can because it will be easy to use by the largest number of people fairly quickly.

There’s a page about writing a new format reader, which is probably the right place to start. It’s a lot, but I think the learning curve will be worth it.

@joshmoore, @dgault are better resources than me.

John

Hi @chris.roat, just to better understand the problem, are you dealing with raw data and looking for a suitable format to store it in? Or are you dealing with an existing hdf5 file along with metadata (if so do you know how it is stored?) and looking for a way to read the data?

Either way I would recommend sticking to existing open formats if possible rather than reinventing the wheel.

For reading hdf5 data Bio-Formats currently supports a number of formats, Imaris, CellH5, Big Data Viewer, KLB etc. For writing we currently only have a writer for CellH5 though we are beginning to look at developing the next generation of open formats and it may be interesting to get involved in the discussion over at Next Generation File Formats for BioImaging

Thanks @bogovicj and @dgault,

We are dealing with raw data and want to find a better format than a large number of tiff files. I was contemplating the NWB format (which is an open format) because it seems to be an emerging standard. But I’m open to anything.

I don’t have experience with the pros/cons of the various formats.
For a large tiff stack, I’d lean toward Big Data Viewer because I’ve heard good things about using it with Fiji. Do either of you have opinions on pros/cons of that format versus the others?

Thanks,
Chris

I don’t have any experience with the NWB format so don’t know how it compares or if there is an easy way to read it in the FIJI environment. Most likely If you are looking to use FIJI then your main challenge will be actually writing the data and having the tools to do so.

In that sense if you are comfortable with sticking with TIFF for the time being then pyramidal OME-TIFF is a robust option for providing the tools and support to read and write in different environments. Though as the scale of your dimensions increase it will be less performant than say a HDF5 based format.

Once you can read images in FIJI (be it OME-TIFF or another format which Bio-Formats can read) then it is easy to export to the BDV format of H5 and XML through the Big Data Viewer plugin. This might be an option for converting the files if it is easier to start with TIFF than write directly to that format.

I have placed some links below which might be useful:
OME Position on file formats
File export code to OME-TIFF
KLB format
BDV format
Big Data Viewer in FIJI

1 Like