Creating Omero database

Greetings,

I need to create a new database and I’m new in all of this, so I need some guideness… I saw that I need first to install Omero.server (I’m not sure is that correct), but I couldn’t find information how to install it on Windows OS. Basically, I don’t know how that things works, how to start from zero (create new database etc.), so if anyone of you can help me, explain things…, thank you in advance…

Hi @Laputa. Welcome to image.sc!

Deploying OMERO.server and OMERO.web on Windows is not supported. If you only have a Windows machine for getting started, you might want to try a virtual solution like VirtualBox or Docker. Once you’ve made that decision, the place to start is:

https://docs.openmicroscopy.org/omero/latest/sysadmins/unix/server-installation.html

Let us know how it goes.

~Josh

Dear Josh,

Thank you so much for responding… I also have Linux mint but on very old computer (pentium 3), 32btps, so I gess it is too slow and too old for that… I don’t know how to use VirtualBox and Docker, or for whqt thay serve…, but I will trqy to search a bit… and will inform you how it goes… (And hope that I’m not bothering you…)

Again, thank you,

Savo

No worries, @Laputa. That’s what we’re here for. Do note however that once you get OMERO running, there will remain ongoing sysadmin maintenance tasks. If it would help, we can discuss some of those trade-offs for what you are trying to achieve in particular.

All the best,
~Josh

Just to be sure… I want to create new database for microscopy pictures for Nano group/section on Biology, Biotechnical faculty in Ljubljana… So, first I need to install Omero.server, or what I need to do?
I apologize, but I’m not really sure what’s the starting point… Ohh, I’m ashamed because of that…

Savo

Yes. You’re on the right path. But if you come more from a Windows backgorund and are unfamiliar with Unix and PostgreSQL, etc., you will likely want to get some support, either internally or externally, in order to run a database for the long-term.

No worries. With the number of tools represented on image.sc, no one can be expected to immediately know how to get started with all of them. We’re happy to help you evaluate OMERO, but installation does assume familiarity with tools that you might not (yet) have.

All the best,
~Josh