Creating a montage of composite images

If I have several composite images open (they are 3 channel red,blue, and gray) and I want to make a montage of them (not of the individual channels, but of the 3 images) I always have to make them RGB first then do images to stack and then make a montage from the stack. Is there a better way to accomplish this? Can I make a montage of composite images? The problem I have now is that when making it RGB the gray channel can no longer be B&C adjusted independently of the other channels (I guess gray is made up of a little bit of red green and blue…)
Thanks…
-j

The way to do it would be by using the Image>Stacks>Tools>Combine command. However, as of this writing, the Combine command does not support multi-channel images (i.e., it will treat multichannel images as regular Z-stacks).
So, the way I see it, you have two options: 1) Use Image>Stacks>Tools>Combine followed by Image>Hyperstacks>Stack to Hyperstack or 2) Enlarge the canvas of first image, and use the Image>Stacks>Tools>Insert command to append the remaining images to the enlarged canvas.

In a macro, option 1) would look like:

run("Fluorescent Cells (400K)");
rename("img1");
rename("img2");
getDimensions(w, h, c, z, t);
run("Combine...", "stack1=img1 stack2=img2");
run("Stack to Hyperstack...", "order=xyczt(default) channels=&c slices=&z frames=&t display=Composite");

In a macro, option 2) would look something like this:

rename("img1");
rename("img2");
w = getWidth();
h = getHeight();
run("Canvas Size...", "width="+ 2*w +" height="+ h +" position=Top-Left");
run("Insert...", "source=img1 destination=img2 x="+ w +" y=0");

UPDATE: I Just realized that you can also subscribe to the PTBIOP update site and use Plugins>BIOP>Multi Stack Montage… by @oburri (Documentation)

1 Like

Hi all,

If it’s a montage where you need to control the brightness and contrast, you can use the Common Tools Action bar from our update site. http://biop.epfl.ch/pdf/Common%20Tools_SubBars.pdf

Best

Oli

Hi guys, would anyone know how to best make a time series montage of the 6 time series in the screen shot below.
I could use the COMBINE function, but it doesn’t let me put borders easily.