CPA does not open (unexpected error and quit)

Hi,

I have been working with CPA for a while now (under Windows) and I am now collaborating with a research group. My collaborators cannot run the last version of CPA (2.0 r11710) on their machine, the program does not even show the initial file explorer but crashes and exits. In turn they can run perfectly the previous release (2.0, r11306). Has such problem been reported yet? Here are the generic details of their machine:

iMac 10.1
OSX 10.6.8
3.06 GhZ Core 2 duo
4 GB RAM

Best,
Sébastien

Hello Sébastien,

This is unusual. You can try a few things:
(1) Make sure that CPA is installed, and not being run from the mounted DMG ‘drive’
(2) Uninstall any previous versions of CPA (and possibly CellProfiler itself, though on a Mac I don’t know that would help)
(3) Inspect the ‘Console’ app for crashes, and debug from there. You should be able to find CellProfiler Analyst crashes in the User Diagnostic Reports section within the app. Paste the top of the log here.
(4) Try a more updated version from here: github.com/CellProfiler/CellPro … TrunkBuild . CPA from here should be safe and stable enough to use (but read the disclaimer there anyway!)

Let us know how it goes.
David

Hi,
I have the same problem - I only see the starting logo and request for properties file. After selecting the file it crashes. I tried several files but no difference. On another PC it runs OK. TrunkBuild version did not help neither reinstalling or running in compatability mode with full admin right.

win 7 64 bit,
4Gb RAM memory

CP runs and work fine, but CPA not. Any other clue what to change?

log file:

C:\CellProfiler Analyst\library.zip\scikits\learn_init_.py:2: UserWarning: scikits.learn namespace is deprecated, please use sklearn instead
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cpa.py”, line 529, in
File “wx_core.pyc”, line 7981, in init
File “wx_core.pyc”, line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
File “cpa.py”, line 447, in OnInit
File “guiutils.pyc”, line 814, in show_load_dialog
File “properties.pyc”, line 288, in load_file
File “properties.pyc”, line 507, in Validate
AssertionError: PROPERTIES ERROR (db_host): Field is required with db_type=mysql.

log from another properties file (which works on other computer)

C:\CellProfiler Analyst\library.zip\scikits\learn_init_.py:2: UserWarning: scikits.learn namespace is deprecated, please use sklearn instead
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “cpa.py”, line 529, in
File “wx_core.pyc”, line 7981, in init
File “wx_core.pyc”, line 7555, in _BootstrapApp
File “cpa.py”, line 447, in OnInit
File “guiutils.pyc”, line 814, in show_load_dialog
File “properties.pyc”, line 288, in load_file
File “properties.pyc”, line 507, in Validate
AssertionError: PROPERTIES ERROR (db_host): Field is required with db_type=mysql.

Hi kdybytojelo,

The warning indicates that you are using MySQL but your properties file is lacking a MySQL host (‘db_host’). Is that the case?
I’m not sure how this would work on another computer though.

Another thing to try is to set “check_tables = no” in your properties file (likely the last line). This bypasses some checks on the database (but again, if it works on another machine, this is not likely to help).

Would you post your properties file so we can take a look?
And let us know what kind of database you are connecting to (MySQL or sqlite), which should match what your ExportToDatabase is set to output.

Otherwise, I could imagine that some configuration files are corrupted and you might have to delete them from your Windows registry (not sure where that is offhand).

Thanks,
David