CPA 3.0.1 crashes on MacOS 11.2.3

Hi

I’m totally new to CPA and I thought I’d give it a go with the new version. I downloaded the .dmg file and moved the program to the Applications folder but it just crashes with a dreadfully long crash report:
Crash report CPA 3.0.1. on MacOS 11.2.3.pdf (347.5 KB)

Probably a simple explanation but I can’t find it. Any help appreciated.

Hi @kenji78,

Thanks for raising this. A couple of things to try: You could try launching from the /downloads folder, sometimes this can help to get apps working. Another option would be to try exploring the .app as a folder and locating the “cpa” executable, the app may start if launched from this.

If you could test those it’d be super helpful, unfortunately those Apple crash logs aren’t very useful.

Hi David, thanks for the reply. I tried both suggestions but neither worked, the program crashes in the same way as before. Let me know if you need more information or if I should try something else. It would be great to get it working.

Hi @kenji78,

We’ve been looking into this, my worry is that this may be coming from a dependency which we’d have to wait for a release of before truly fixing this.

On thing I’d like to check - can you open the current release of CellProfiler?

One option for the time being would be to use version 3.0.0 from this releases page. This should start up on Big Sur, but has a problem where it’ll crash when dragging image tiles. For the time being this can sort-of be worked around by using the keyboard hotkeys to classify tiles.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Our access to machines running Big Sur is limited and some dependencies are still awaiting updates to fully support it.

Hi David

CellProfiler 4.1.3 is working fine. No worries, I have access to a Windows machine as well. I appreciate all your effort!

Best,

Kenneth

Hi again,

We’ve now released Version 3.0.2 which should fix this. Please let us know if you have any further trouble.