CP Crashes

I am working on a Windows XP 32 bit system, Compiled Version 7737, which is a derivative of 7522.

It was working fine until recently. PIPELINES that worked consistently suddenly no longer worked, or they worked the first time that I ran them in a session, then didn’t work. I deleted the CP Folder and reinstalled it, which seemed to help. Then we ran System Mechanic, a program produced by iolo (iolo.com) that is used for routine system maintenance, including defragmenting, backing up registry, cleaning up clutter and correcting registry errors. I have done this in the past, which has sometimes caused CP to stop working, but when I reinstall it, everything works fine. This time I can’t get CP to work, no matter how I install it from the original zipped folder. It doesn’t work with 7522 or 7737.

I set up the CP window as always, but when I hit the “Analyze” button, the program crashes and has to be shut down. The status window is blank. The DOS window shows the following text with Version 7522:

??? Error using ==> timer.timer>timer.timer at 117

Undefined function or method ‘get settable values’ for input arguments of type ‘timer’

Error in ==> CellProfiler > AnalyzeImagesButton_Callback at 10600

Error in ==> CellProfiler>giu_mainfcn at 12633

Error in ==> CellProfiler at 57

??? Error while evaluating uicontrol Callback

I’ve tried everything that I can think of. Do you have any insight?

Thanks,
Jan

Hi Jan,

Do you make sure to re-install the MCR and all your java libraries when you run this system uninstall etc on your computer? My guess is that this is a java error of some kind.

-Kate

Just in case anyone else is having this problem, this is what I did to fix it:

Go the the java website:
java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Download the latest Java update. Currently, that’s Version 6 Update 17.

Save your pipelines and other files somewhere else first, and then Delete all of the old CellProfiler folders from your computer.

Reload CellProfiler. Don’t forget to reset your Preferences.

It seems to be working OK, at least for now. It’s also running a little bit faster than it did before.

Jan

Glad you got it working, and thanks for posting this solution.
David