CP 3.0.0rc1 not starting up in Mac

cellprofiler

Hi,

I am really eager to see what is new in CP 3.0, but after installing the Mac version in my computer, CP 3.0 won’t start.

It appears on the dock, it jumps a couple of times and it closes again.

Any input?

Thanks!

Jordi

Too bad! We have been having trouble with the latest version not being downloadable from the cloud provider. I’m hoping the team will get back to you soon with a new version to try!

I started an issue here:

Hi Anne!

I will pay attention to the new version’s release!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Hello,

I wanted to add that I am having the same issue with 3.0.0rc5 and the nightly build rc6 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi, Ben. Do you have Java installed?

Yes. I have Java 8 Update 131 (sanctioned version at work), I thought maybe that was the issue so I also tired Update 144 on my laptop which has the same OS but it still does the same appear on the dock, jump a couple times and close again.

Do you also have the Java Development Kit installed?

Hello,

I am confronted with the same issue as Ben. Neither the 3.0.0rc5 or the nightly build will launch on macOS 10.12.6.

Java is updated to the latest version, as well as the Java Development Kit.

Thank you for you help,
A

@Antoine and @ben, would either of you mind helping me debug this issue?

You can download the latest beta here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cellprofiler-releases/CellProfiler-3.0.0rc7.dmg

After you’ve downloaded the disk image, mount it (double click) then run:

/Volumes/CellProfiler/CellProfiler.app/Contents/MacOS/CellProfiler

from Terminal.app. Let me know what errors it throws!

Thank you for the fast answer!

I did as you asked and got the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CellProfiler.py”, line 8, in
File “cellprofiler/main.py”, line 136, in main
File “/private/var/folders/_3/nmjl0qjn3bl6bp9qdll84tc18fpk6c/T/pip-build-SPZ6VW/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py”, line 396, in load_module
File “cellprofiler/gui/app.py”, line 12, in
File “/private/var/folders/_3/nmjl0qjn3bl6bp9qdll84tc18fpk6c/T/pip-build-SPZ6VW/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py”, line 396, in load_module
File “wx-3.0-osx_cocoa/wx/init.py”, line 45, in
File “wx-3.0-osx_cocoa/wx/_core.py”, line 4, in
File “/private/var/folders/_3/nmjl0qjn3bl6bp9qdll84tc18fpk6c/T/pip-build-SPZ6VW/pyinstaller/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py”, line 687, in load_module
ImportError: dlopen(/var/folders/kt/2b48mryj7978by3dzlqkqj8w0000gn/T/_MEI6l1p4k/wx.core.so, 2): Library not loaded: @loader_path/libwx_osx_cocoau_xrc-3.0.dylib
Referenced from: /var/folders/kt/2b48mryj7978by3dzlqkqj8w0000gn/T/_MEI6l1p4k/wx.core.so
Reason: image not found
[30143] Failed to execute script CellProfiler

Thanks, @Antoine. I’m fixing now. I’ll create a new release this afternoon.

@Antoine, one more thing, if you don’t mind, if you’re using Homebrew can you try installing wxPython?

brew install wxpython

and then try rerunning CellProfiler?

@agoodman, sorry I did not dot it earlier, I highly believe we are in a different timezone.

I installed homebrew (even if I doubt I will really use it in the future) and installed wxPython. CellProfiler 3.0.0-rc7 opened perfectly, I yet have to give it a go and see if it runs smoothly, but so far so good.

Thanks!

Hi!

I followed the same instructions and indeed, CP 3.0 is now running! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Awesome! We’re planning on getting wxPython linked so you won’t need to pre-install wxPython from Homebrew. I’ll keep you posted.

Hi Agoodman,

Sorry about my late response. On my laptop running Java 8 Update 144 after installing wxpython all 3.0.0 releases of CellProfiler work! Thank you.

Nightly (3.0.0rc6) opens, but reports itself as CellProfiler 3.0.0rc1. The Beta (3.0.0rc5) also opens but reports itself as 3.0.0rc4.

Finally 3.0.0rc7 does report itself correctly.

Thank you!
Ben

Hello,

sorry to reopen the issue, but my installation does not work with either r5 or r6 versions. I’m running a mac0s 10.12. I installed wxpython both on the systems python and my anaconda installation, but no joy. I also did java 8 114 update. So I think I have done everything you suggested on this page. Do you have any new ideas?
Thanks,
Marc

@MarcKobudo, have you tried:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cellprofiler-releases/CellProfiler-3.0.0rc7.dmg

Let me know.

CellProfiler-3.0.0rc7.dmg works for me, the first Mac compiled version to work!

FYI, the current Mac release (3.0.0 afaik) opens with this error:

Also, FYI the CellProfiler-3.0.0rc7.dmg opens with this Error dialog, but that looks like some default pipeline just needs updating:

David, would you mind trying the newest stable 3.0 release from cellprofiler.org,

Which is the same as in:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cellprofiler-releases/CellProfiler-3.0.0.dmg

The errors discussed in this thread should be fixed.