Counting cells on a 2D image

If have a research project on plant growth, and I’m looking for a way to automatically count the number of cells in a microscope images.

Can ImageJ help with that? It kinda looks like a brain scan, so I thought there might already be solutions that help segment each region. Is there any way to automate the process (input: image file, output: number) so I don’t have to count manually?

I’m completely unfamiliar with ImageJ, so if anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be very helpful.

Good day Reinhard,

cells are units, i.e. they must have clear boundaries (cell membranes), and if they are, they may indeed be counted.

The problem I have with your image is, that I can’t recognize any units, i.e. the boundaries are far from evident. Are you able to manually draw the cell contours? If not, then there is little to no chance for automatic cell counting.

Furthermore, the image appears to be out of focus for at least 2/3 of the area and it shows strange (light) reflexes. It is highly recommended to improve the image acquisition, but even then I doubt that satisfying automatic cell segmentation and counting will be possible.

Regards

Herbie

2 Likes