Consolidation of the ImageJ and Fiji wikis

As most of you know, for a long time now, the ImageJ wiki and Fiji wiki have actually been the same wiki. They literally served the same content—just with different skins. This tended to cause confusion in both humans (who did not realize this) and computers (e.g., Google did not want to index http://imagej.net/ highly at all).

We have had a plan to remedy the situation for quite some time now, and today I finally implemented the plan. The situation is now as follows:

I am writing this post for community feedback on the new structure. In particular:

1. Are there any critical issues not addressed by this structure?

2. Any links which are now broken?

And also, an action item for all maintainers of wiki pages: PLEASE CHECK YOUR WIKI PAGES to make sure they look decent under the http://imagej.net/ skin. I know some people are not huge fans of this skin, and I want to be clear that we are very open to changing/improving the skin. This is not hard to do—I just need to know which skin people think would look better. In the short term, it just needs to be wider than the Fiji skin because there are pages which rely on that. In the longer term, we want to make the skin reactive, so that it works better on mobile devices (this is needed to maintain good Google search results these days).

So: Comments? Thoughts? Flames?

P.S. I am going on vacation starting tomorrow, but will do my best to keep up on this thread. I am officially back to work on Monday, March 21.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot @ctrueden for all your efforts on unifying the websites! I checked my plugin pages and they just look a bit weird due to the larger page width. I will adapt them to whichever skin is finally chosen :wink:

3 Likes

@ctrueden thanks for all your work maintaining this. It had no idea that this was about to happen, so I just found this now by surprise when visiting the Wiki. I was never really convinced that the ImageJ2 and Fiji Wikis had to be mixed but I can see that this reduced maintenance friction on your side. The ImageJ2 Wiki skin is unfortunately not very pleasing. Why wouldn’t you use the Fiji skin for the new ImageJ2 Wiki?

Unifying the wikis was about much more than just reducing maintenance burden. Starting up another ImageJ wiki for ImageJ2 and/or community plugins—in addition to the existing Fiji wiki and ImageJ documentation wiki—would have been superfluous and highly confusing. Transforming the Fiji wiki into the ImageJ wiki made far more sense, since many of Fiji’s central, general features migrated to ImageJ2 core, and there were tons of wiki pages unspecific to Fiji’s collection of plugins. Moreover, the primary goal of the wiki is to be a central resource for everyone to document their plugins, whether they are part of Fiji or served from a third party update site. From that perspective, it would be most unfortunate for Fiji content to live in its own isolated wiki.

As I said above, it was too narrow. Also:

• It does not support a sidebar.
  • It does not have a white background (needed to match some images etc.).
  • It is branded with Fiji logo, colors, etc.

All of these things are addressable with some effort. But in the short term, it was a lot easier to grab a stock skin and use that. In general, I am a fan of using stock skins for maintenance reasons, because they are maintained by someone other than me (e.g., if a security hole is discovered in the skin, the responsibility to patch it will not rest solely with me).

That said, if someone in the community wants to develop and maintain a beautiful skin custom tailored for the ImageJ wiki (maybe based on the Fiji Viti Levu skin, or maybe not), that effort would be most welcome.

One final issue though with basing a new skin off of Viti Levu is that I am actually not sure what the license is. Looking at the code on the server side, I see no mention of a license, so best would be to contact all the authors (Alexander Wende, Tim Cross, Ignacio Arganda-Carreras, Johannes Schindelin and yourself) to confirm that it is OK to use as a starting point for a new OSS skin. If everyone agrees, I can post the code to a new repository on GitHub.