Confusion about proper citation of Fiji and plugins

Hi all,

I am writing a methods section in a paper, where I used Fiji and the HDF5 plugin for some of the image analysis.
However, I am uncertain about what papers I should be citing in my paper. I read something about several different ImageJ-related publications that should be cited, but I couldn’t figure out precisely which papers were needed. Also, I can’t seem to find any publication relating to the HDF5 plugin. Does that mean I don’t need to cite it?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Have you had a look at the citing page of the wiki?

Thank you for replying :slight_smile: Yes, I have, and it states the following:

We ask users to cite:

1. Any specific publications of plugins used.
  2. The general paper of ImageJ distribution(s) used—e.g., if you used Fiji, cite the Fiji paper.
  3. The general ImageJ paper.

So, I have the Fiji paper. I can’t seem to find a paper for the plugin and I am not sure which paper is “the general ImageJ paper”.

1 Like

If the plugin site or wiki page does not refer to any paper, then it probably does not exist and you don’t need to worry.

I assume that’s the ImageJ 1 paper from 2012.

Okay, that’s good to know. It doesn’t seem like anyone has been developing the plugin since 2014, either, so I think it’s sort of a dead project right now.

I was thinking that as well, but if that’s the case, when should I then use the ImageJ2 paper?

Good question. I guess I would cite the ImageJ2 paper if I use any of the IJ2 functionality. But again, this is just my opinion. Feel free to cite both papers.

Okay, thanks for helping me out. I decided on citing the ImageJ1 paper and the Fiji paper.

Now I can just hope that someone will continue developing the HDF5 plugin, so it won’t end up left in the dirt :slight_smile:

1 Like