Compute histogram of measurements from many images

cellprofiler

Hello,

I have many images which contain similar objects.
Is it possible to draw an histogram of a particular measurement of these objects (e.g. area) for all objects in all images? Not just one histogram for all objects in each image…

Thanks for the information.

Kind regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

DataTools in CP are useful for analyses on aggregate data, i.e. across cycles. So, run CP to get your measurements (e.g. area), then use DataTool->Histogram, load in your output file and see if you can plot what you need this way.

David

Hi David,

Thanks, it works.
But it seems there is no way to make datatool run from the pipeline…

Vincent

Hi Vincent,

Indeed, you cannot run DataTools from a pipeline. The pipeline model of CellProfiler is constructed such that each image is processed independently (with a few exceptions, like CalculateStatistics). You could use the DisplayHistogram module, for example, to display a histogram from an image on each cycle, but to do any pre- or post-processing on all the images, you need to run a separate pipeline or DataTool. I agree with your implication that automating this sort of post-processing would be desirable, and We That Are CP have discussed new models like this for the next incarnation of CellProfiler, though it is still in development so I can’t say whether this will occur or not.

However, anyone is free to write their own “SuperHistogram” module which takes all cycles’ measurements into account and post it here!

Best,
David

Hi David,

It is perfectly clear now about what can be done and what can not be done (I mean right away). Thanks a lot!

Vincent