Compatibility of Imagej-tensorflow with ImageJ1

Hi all,

Is there any way to use the TensorFlow library manager (imagej-tensorflow) in an ImageJ1 plugin? (@frauzufall, @ctrueden)

There is a shortcode in the Topic Imagej-tensorflow now with command to change TensorFlow library version / switch to GPU, but I guess it works only for ImageJ2.

Any comment/recommendation is highly appreciated!
Thank you

2 Likes

@esgomezm Let’s discuss your requirements a bit before diving in. Why can’t you use ImageJ2 features? DeepImageJ relies on the TensorFlow Java bindings already—so installation into a plain ImageJ 1.x becomes more complex. The ImageJ Updater was invented to help users avoid this complexity. The easiest path forward for both DeepImageJ developers and users would be to require ImageJ2, and use SciJava-style Commands rather than ImageJ1-style PlugIns.

If continued support of plain ImageJ 1.x is a hard requirement for you, you could still spin up a SciJava application container internally and use that for the TensorFlowService and so on. Something like this:

import net.imagej.tensorflow.TensorFlowService;
import org.scijava.Context;
private static TensorFlowService tfService;
static {
  Context ctx = (Context) IJ.runPlugIn("org.scijava.Context", "");
  if (ctx == null) ctx = new Context(TensorFlowService.class);
  tfService = ctx.service(TensorFlowService.class);
}

And then use tfService in your code however you want.

The weird IJ.runPlugIn invocation is for accessing ImageJ2’s existing SciJava Context. If you’re running from inside an ImageJ1, it will return null, in which case it spins up a tiny one just for you.

4 Likes

I just want to add notes for how you could just use the existing ImageJ2 resources for what you are doing with DeepImageJ. So here is a quick run through how to use the existing ImageJ2 tools.

You need these dependencies - imagej-tensorflow for library loading and tensor - image conversion, imagej-modelzoo which can mostly do what CSBDeep was always able to to (prediction of arbitrary image to image networks, tiling), but can handle multiple input and output nodes plus has the modelzoo specification API:

<dependency>
    <groupId>net.imagej</groupId>
    <artifactId>imagej-tensorflow</artifactId>
    <version>1.1.6</version>
</dependency>
<dependency>
    <groupId>net.imagej</groupId>
	<artifactId>imagej-modelzoo</artifactId>
	<version>0.6.0</version>
</dependency>

Regarding running them from an IJ1 Plugin, @ctrueden already explained how to get the Context in IJ1.

So we do that or create a new Context and get the services we need, in an IJ2 command we can use Parameter annotations instead (example):

Context context = (Context) IJ.runPlugIn("org.scijava.Context", "");
if (context == null) context = new Context();

// get services which we want to use
TensorFlowService tf = context.service(TensorFlowService.class);
LogService log = context.service(LogService.class);
UIService ui = context.service(UIService.class);
OpService op = context.service(OpService.class);
ModelZooService modelZoo = context.service(ModelZooService.class);
ScriptService script = context.service(ScriptService.class);

// only needed for opening and saving via IJ2
// DatasetIOService datasetIO = context.service(DatasetIOService.class);
// DatasetService dataset = context.service(DatasetService.class);

This is how we can load the TensorFlow library - this snippet is not needed because it is executed automatically during prediction, but if you want to somehow deal with it differenly, you can:

// load TF library, show error if it failed
tf.loadLibrary();
if(!tf.getStatus().isLoaded()) {
log.error(tf.getStatus().getInfo());
}

Now we load the input image - I guess you want the IJ1 way, but for completeness I also added the code for IJ2:

// input paths
String imgPath = "/home/random/tmp/deepimagej/blobs.tif";
String outPath = "/home/random/tmp/deepimagej/output.tif";

// load image via IJ2
// Img input = datasetIO.open(imgPath);
// load image via IJ1
Img input = ImageJFunctions.wrap(IJ.openImage(imgPath));
ui.show("input", input);

We use the ModelZooService to load the model archive:

// load model
String modelPath = "/home/random/tmp/deepimagej/model.bioimage.io.zip";
ModelZooArchive modelArchive = modelZoo.open(modelPath);

Here is how you can extract a macro from the archive and execute it via the ScriptService - we are creating a copy of the input image to not modify the original image:

Img inputCopy = op.copy().img(input);
ui.show("input copy", inputCopy);

// macro preprocessing
File preprocessingMacro = modelArchive.extract("preprocessing.ijm");
script.run(preprocessingMacro, true);

Now we create a default imagej-modelzoo prediction instance and also adjust e.g. the tiling options:

// setup prediction
DefaultSingleImagePrediction prediction = new DefaultSingleImagePrediction(context);
prediction.setInput("input", inputCopy, "XY");
prediction.setTrainedModel(modelPath);
// tiling options - if memory is insufficient, tiling will automatically increase, but it helps to start with higher tiling for bigger images
prediction.setNumberOfTiles(1);

Then we run the prediction and display the output:

prediction.run();
RandomAccessibleInterval output = prediction.getOutput();
ui.show("output", output);

Next, the postprocessing, in your case, is executed via macro, extracted from the model:

// macro postprocessing
File postprocessingMacro = modelArchive.extract("postprocessing.ijm");
script.run(postprocessingMacro, true);

And here again the two ways of storing the result - IJ1 and IJ2:

// save via IJ1
IJ.save(ImageJFunctions.wrap(output, "output"), outPath);
// save via IJ2
// datasetIO.save(dataset.create(output), outPath);

That’s it. Additionally, you can adjust the model specification via API, e.g. from your UI, here is an example, you can find a more extensive example here:

// adjust model
modelArchive.getSpecification().setName("my model");
modelArchive.getSpecification().setDescription("my model description");
modelZoo.save(modelArchive, modelPath);

The API is probably incomplete / not fully in sync with the official modelzoo specification and I would really appreciate issues / PRs in the imagej-modelzoo repository to make sure our specifications match, it’s just a first draft which works well for DenoiSeg and N2V, but it would be great to work together on this.

The code could be shortened more if you would use an IJ2 command and I will create an example repository demonstrating custom prediction commands soon. I will also write more documentation about the ImageJ2 display that exists for the model, it just seems like this is not relevant since you want to use your own UI. The code above is hopefully sufficient to demonstrate how to make use of the existing ImageJ2 TF prediction / modelzoo specification backend resources. Please let me know if anything’s unclear / something I wrote is wrong / the code is causing issues.

EDIT Here is the data for the code above.

6 Likes

Thanks @ctrueden and @frauzufall for your answers!
The workaround @ctrueden proposed works perfectly.
At DeepimageJ we have decided to maintain support for IJ1 and IJ2 for the moment, although there will be probably a DeepImageJ version for IJ2 in the future.
With respect to your comments @frauzufall, thanks a lot for you help! It will be useful in the near future. But as I have said, we are maintianing IJ1 for the moment.

Yes! We will be glad to work together. DeepImageJ is following the Yaml requirements defined at the Bioimage Model Zoo. These requirements are actively discussed here.

1 Like

It’s not about the specification itself, it’s about how writing and reading the specification is implemented / available via public API in Java. That’s why we invited you to the Hackathon last December where we wrote imagej-modelzoo, but sadly no developer of your group came, why we had multiple Skype calls and why I made this issue trying to get us to use the same code base, especially since the specification is still discussed and the implementation needs to be updated accordingly from time to time.

3 Likes