Dear #clij users and friends of GPU-accelerated image processing,
I’m happy to announce the first alpha-release of CLIJ2 . If you have the
clij2 update site in Fiji activated, you get it with the next update. Its API reference can be found here.
Experimentalists and early adopters are very welcome to give CLIJ2 a try. You know, I feedback.
Yet CLIJ2 is experimental. Please don’t use it for production projects yet.
- CLIJ2 currently contains 146 new operations compared to CLIJ. You can now
- label connected components,
- analyse label maps,
- measure distances in point clouds,
- work with meshes,
- determine bounding boxes,
- use new filters such a Sobel and Laplace,
- apply filters such as top-hat and binary closing in an easier way,
- draw lines, boxes, spheres and meshes,
- copy, crop and paste images,
- pull regions of interest from the GPU instead of binary images and label maps,
- push and pull tables to/from the GPU,
- and a lot more.
- 5 CLIJ methods were renamed or are misssing CLIJ2. The detailed comparision of CLIJ, CLIJ2 and CLIJx can be found online.
- Existing CLIJ operations were rewritten for CLIJ2 potentially leading to an expected speedup of 1-10 ms per call. This is especially beneficial when processing small images.
- The CLIJ-API remains unaffected. CLIJ and CLIJ2 can coexist peacefully. They can actually be combined in macros:
// push images to GPU Ext.CLIJ2_push("A"); Ext.CLIJ_push("B"); // process them Ext.CLIJ2_addImages("A", "B", "C"); // pull results back Ext.CLIJ_pull("C");
- Java/Groovy/Jython-API gets memory management comparable to
Ext.CLIJ_clear();in CLIJ macro:
buffer = clij2.create(100, 100); // memory contains one image clij2.clear(); // memory is empty
CLIJ2 <> CLIJx
The upcoming CLIJ2 may affect the experimental CLIJx API. In case CLIJx users experience issues with their workflows using CLIJx, they can downgrade to the previous release by downloading clij-advanced-filters-0.16.2, removing the number at the end of the filename and replacing clij-advanced-filters-0.20.0 in the /plugins/ directory of Fiji and deleting clij2 and clijx jar files. Please report any issues so that I can fix them!
Like about a year ago: Thanks to everyone who helps testing CLIJ! Without your feedback, CLIJ couldn’t fly!