CellProfiler install from source and run headless to solve batch processing memory errors

Hi CellProfiler Users,

I want to run CP headless from the command line so I can run one job at a time. Accumulating memory from batch jobs is causing CP to fail even on boxes with 128 GB of RAM (one worker or many yields same failure). Running one job at a time will allow memory to be cleared before starting the next job. Essentially this is the same strategy for running on a cluster.

It has been challenging to install a working version of CP using the recipes located here: https://github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler/wiki

I went through all the different instructions, windows, mac and various flavors of ubuntu, but was unable to get it working. Since this original post I handed this off to someone more capable then myself and now have a working version on Ubuntu. I stand by my original post; the instructions for ubuntu 9, 14 and 16 don’t work as stated. I reattempted the brew version for mac yesterday. It fails during the CP install for something related to wxpython. I didn’t retry the Conda version for windows.

What did finally work were the Ubuntu 16.04 commands on a clean install of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on an amazon ec2 instance.

These are the commands used for install:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install build-essential cython git libmysqlclient-dev libhdf5-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev openjdk-8-jdk python-dev python-pip python-h5py python-matplotlib python-mysqldb python-scipy python-numpy python-pytest python-vigra python-wxgtk3.0 python-zmq

git clone https://github.com/CellProfiler/CellProfiler.git
cd CellProfiler
git checkout stable
pip install --user --editable . --process-dependency-links
python -m site --user-base
export PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
cellprofiler

This installs CP version 2.2. Version 3 is not available for this type of setup as far as I am aware (very sad; eagerly awaiting version 4… see CellProfiler 4.0.0 timeline and roadmap). I use CP GUI version 2 to make a pipeline text file (not a project) on different system and then copy that file to the ubuntu instance. The pipeline looks the same as if it was going to be run with the GUI version. The image files are also copied to ubuntu and a csv list of the image files is created for CP to reference.

This is a screenshot of the image list .csv file (open in TextEdit as “plain text” not “Rich text”; excel works as well: save as “comma separated values” file, not UTF-8 csv). Note there is no header row and the full path to the image is stated:

then a command like this can be run which uses the “file-list” functionality:

python cellprofiler -r -c -p pipelinePath --file-list=csvPath --jvm-heap-size 32000m -o outputPath

The argument “–jvm-heap-size” takes care of memory issues for the large whole slide images I want to process (hence the original memory issues). To run a batch of images I have a python script to make an output folder and an image file list for each set of images and generate a command like the above specific for each image set. I output the results into spreadsheets and after the batch is done I have another program to consolidate the results from many image sets into one folder and spreadsheet.

Enjoy! CP version 2 doesn’t have all the same functionality as version 3, but does work and is worth the effort.

1 Like

Can you run CP in python script now or have you found other ways to run CP in command form? Can you share?I met the same difficulty as you, just don’t know how to do!

Yes, I did figure it out. See above.

1 Like

Thank you very much! It helps me a lot!

Hi I am reviving this thread as I am having issues with headless running for my data.
I have big 2 color movies (~ 700Mb to 1.1Gb each) with 200 timepoints.
We have cellprofiler 3.1.9 installed from source on a Ubuntu 16.04 machine with 125Gb RAM

I managed to have the first part running in headless (see below) using several posts from this forum and batch instructions and it is running and saving segmentations in the 2 channels and some classes but not the measurements (CSV and database).
Any ideas?
Cheers

Debbi

here is the output from terminal after my command line

dolivierhub@ficoides:~$ cellprofiler -c -r -p /home/dolivierhub/data/output/Batch_data.h5 -f 0 -l 211 --plugins-directory /home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins -o /home/dolivierhub/data/output/batch1
Could not load runimagej
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 325, in add_module
    m = __import__(mod, globals(), locals(), ['__all__'], 0)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/runimagej.py", line 11, in <module>
    import imagej
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imagej/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .imagej import *
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imagej/imagej.py", line 10, in <module>
    import jnius_config
ImportError: No module named jnius_config
Could not load DoGNet
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 325, in add_module
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/DoGNet.py", line 6, in <module>
    import dognet
ImportError: No module named dognet
Could not load transformfilters
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 326, in add_module
    cp_module = find_cpmodule(m)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 313, in find_cpmodule
    raise ValueError("Could not find cellprofiler.module.Module class in %s" % m.__file__)
ValueError: Could not find cellprofiler.module.Module class in /home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/transformfilters.pyc
Could not load save_16bit_pngs
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/save_16bit_pngs.py", line 11, in <module>
    import imageio
ImportError: No module named imageio
Could not load enhancedmeasuretexture
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/enhancedmeasuretexture.py", line 124, in <module>
    import calculatemoments as cpmoments
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/calculatemoments.py", line 38, in <module>
    import cellprofiler.cpimage as cpi
ImportError: No module named cpimage
Could not load calculatemoments
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/calculatemoments.py", line 38, in <module>
Could not load rescale_mode_percentile
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/rescale_mode_percentile.py", line 11, in <module>
    import statistics
ImportError: No module named statistics
Could not load identifylinearobjects
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/identifylinearobjects.py", line 14, in <module>
    import cellprofiler.cpmodule as cpm
ImportError: No module named cpmodule
Could not load transform
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/transform.py", line 31, in <module>
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/__init__.py:83: RequestsDependencyWarning: Old version of cryptography ([1, 2, 3]) may cause slowdown.
  warnings.warn(warning, RequestsDependencyWarning)
Using TensorFlow backend.
Could not load calculatehistogram
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/calculatehistogram.py", line 18, in <module>
/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/cellstar/utils/debug_util.py:38: UserWarning:
This call to matplotlib.use() has no effect because the backend has already
been chosen; matplotlib.use() must be called *before* pylab, matplotlib.pyplot,
or matplotlib.backends is imported for the first time.

The backend was *originally* set to 'TkAgg' by the following code:
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/bin/cellprofiler", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('CellProfiler', 'console_scripts', 'cellprofiler')()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/__main__.py", line 171, in main
    exit_code = run_pipeline_headless(options, args)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/__main__.py", line 692, in run_pipeline_headless
    pipeline.load(six.moves.StringIO(pipeline_text))
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/pipeline.py", line 796, in load
    self.loadtxt(fd)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/pipeline.py", line 1024, in loadtxt
    module = self.instantiate_module(module_name)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/pipeline.py", line 671, in instantiate_module
    import cellprofiler.modules
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 385, in <module>
    fill_modules()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/__init__.py", line 371, in fill_modules
    add_module(mod, False)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler-plugins/exporttocellh5.py", line 26, in <module>
    import cellh5
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellh5/__init__.py", line 12, in <module>
    from cellh5 import *
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/cellh5/cellh5.py", line 18, in <module>
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 71, in <module>
    from matplotlib.backends import pylab_setup
  File "/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    line for line in traceback.format_stack()

matplotlib.use('Agg')
could not load these modules: runimagej,DoGNet,transformfilters,save_16bit_pngs,enhancedmeasuretexture,calculatemoments,rescale_mode_percentile,identifylinearobjects,transform,calculatehistogram
/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/utilities/hdf5_dict.py:539: FutureWarning: Conversion of the second argument of issubdtype from `int` to `np.signedinteger` is deprecated. In future, it will be treated as `np.int64 == np.dtype(int).type`.
  np.issubdtype(hdf5_type, int) or
/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/utilities/hdf5_dict.py:541: FutureWarning: Conversion of the second argument of issubdtype from `float` to `np.floating` is deprecated. In future, it will be treated as `np.float64 == np.dtype(float).type`.
  hdf5_type_is_float = np.issubdtype(hdf5_type, float)
Times reported are CPU and Wall-clock times for each module
Thu Apr  9 16:03:43 2020: Image # 1, module Images # 1: CPU_time = 0.00 secs, Wall_time = 0.00 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:43 2020: Image # 1, module Metadata # 2: CPU_time = 0.00 secs, Wall_time = 0.00 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:43 2020: Image # 1, module NamesAndTypes # 3: CPU_time = 4.40 secs, Wall_time = 2.88 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:46 2020: Image # 1, module Groups # 4: CPU_time = 0.00 secs, Wall_time = 0.00 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:46 2020: Image # 1, module Smooth # 5: CPU_time = 0.16 secs, Wall_time = 0.11 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:47 2020: Image # 1, module Smooth # 6: CPU_time = 0.09 secs, Wall_time = 0.10 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:47 2020: Image # 1, module Smooth # 7: CPU_time = 0.10 secs, Wall_time = 0.10 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/transform/_warps.py:110: UserWarning: Anti-aliasing will be enabled by default in skimage 0.15 to avoid aliasing artifacts when down-sampling images.
  warn("Anti-aliasing will be enabled by default in skimage 0.15 to "
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/util/dtype.py:137: UserWarning: Possible sign loss when converting negative image of type float64 to positive image of type bool.
  .format(dtypeobj_in, dtypeobj_out))
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/util/dtype.py:141: UserWarning: Possible precision loss when converting from float64 to bool
Thu Apr  9 16:03:47 2020: Image # 1, module Resize # 8: CPU_time = 0.07 secs, Wall_time = 0.01 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/transform/_warps.py:105: UserWarning: The default mode, 'constant', will be changed to 'reflect' in skimage 0.15.
  warn("The default mode, 'constant', will be changed to 'reflect' in "
Thu Apr  9 16:03:47 2020: Image # 1, module ClassifyPixels-Unet # 9: CPU_time = 16.85 secs, Wall_time = 3.13 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:50 2020: Image # 1, module Resize # 10: CPU_time = 0.42 secs, Wall_time = 0.14 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:50 2020: Image # 1, module ColorToGray # 11: CPU_time = 0.00 secs, Wall_time = 0.00 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:50 2020: Image # 1, module IdentifyPrimaryObjects # 12: CPU_time = 0.74 secs, Wall_time = 0.63 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:51 2020: Image # 1, module IdentifySecondaryObjects # 13: CPU_time = 0.72 secs, Wall_time = 0.72 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:51 2020: Image # 1, module MeasureObjectIntensity # 14: CPU_time = 0.20 secs, Wall_time = 0.19 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:52 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 15: CPU_time = 0.16 secs, Wall_time = 0.16 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:52 2020: Image # 1, module TrackObjects # 17: CPU_time = 0.84 secs, Wall_time = 0.83 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:53 2020: Image # 1, module EnhanceOrSuppressFeatures # 18: CPU_time = 0.40 secs, Wall_time = 0.40 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:53 2020: Image # 1, module MaskImage # 19: CPU_time = 0.01 secs, Wall_time = 0.01 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:4209: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  big_labels[[slice(fe,-fe) for fe in footprint_extent]] = labels
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:416: FutureWarning: Conversion of the second argument of issubdtype from `float` to `np.floating` is deprecated. In future, it will be treated as `np.float64 == np.dtype(float).type`.
  index_i, index_j, image = prepare_for_index_lookup(image, False)
Thu Apr  9 16:03:53 2020: Image # 1, module IdentifyPrimaryObjects # 20: CPU_time = 0.77 secs, Wall_time = 0.77 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2535: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  I00[slice_00] = labels
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2536: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  I01[slice_01] = labels
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2537: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  I10[slice_10] = labels
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2538: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  I11[slice_11] = labels
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2560: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  Q1_condition[slice_00] += (NE01_00 & NE01_10 & NE01_11)[slice_01]
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2563: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  Q1_condition[slice_00] += (NE10_00 & NE10_01 & NE10_11)[slice_10]
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2566: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  Q1_condition[slice_00] += (NE11_00 & NE11_01 & NE11_10)[slice_11]
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2574: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  Q3_condition[slice_00] += (NE11_00 & EQ11_10 & EQ11_01)[slice_11]
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/centrosome/cpmorphology.py:2587: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  QD_condition[slice_00] += (NE01_00 & NE01_11 & EQ01_10)[slice_01]
Thu Apr  9 16:03:54 2020: Image # 1, module MeasureObjectSizeShape # 21: CPU_time = 2.30 secs, Wall_time = 2.30 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:56 2020: Image # 1, module MeasureGranularity # 22: CPU_time = 2.30 secs, Wall_time = 2.29 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:03:58 2020: Image # 1, module MeasureObjectIntensityDistribution # 23: CPU_time = 1.16 secs, Wall_time = 1.15 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:00 2020: Image # 1, module MeasureObjectIntensity # 24: CPU_time = 0.65 secs, Wall_time = 0.65 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:00 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 25: CPU_time = 0.21 secs, Wall_time = 0.21 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:00 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 26: CPU_time = 0.19 secs, Wall_time = 0.19 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:01 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 27: CPU_time = 0.19 secs, Wall_time = 0.19 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:01 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 28: CPU_time = 0.19 secs, Wall_time = 0.19 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:01 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 29: CPU_time = 0.19 secs, Wall_time = 0.19 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:01 2020: Image # 1, module FilterObjects # 30: CPU_time = 0.18 secs, Wall_time = 0.18 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:01 2020: Image # 1, module RescaleIntensity # 31: CPU_time = 0.20 secs, Wall_time = 0.20 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:02 2020: Image # 1, module RescaleIntensity # 32: CPU_time = 0.22 secs, Wall_time = 0.22 secs
/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/relateobjects.py:599: FutureWarning: Using a non-tuple sequence for multidimensional indexing is deprecated; use `arr[tuple(seq)]` instead of `arr[seq]`. In the future this will be interpreted as an array index, `arr[np.array(seq)]`, which will result either in an error or a different result.
  perim_idx = pperim[perim_loc.transpose().tolist()]
Thu Apr  9 16:04:02 2020: Image # 1, module RelateObjects # 33: CPU_time = 0.45 secs, Wall_time = 0.45 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:02 2020: Image # 1, module OverlayOutlines # 34: CPU_time = 0.11 secs, Wall_time = 0.11 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/util/dtype.py:141: UserWarning: Possible precision loss when converting from float32 to uint8
Thu Apr  9 16:04:02 2020: Image # 1, module SaveImages # 35: CPU_time = 0.30 secs, Wall_time = 0.30 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:03 2020: Image # 1, module OverlayOutlines # 36: CPU_time = 0.21 secs, Wall_time = 0.21 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/io/_io.py:140: UserWarning: /home/dolivierhub/data/output/batch1/RESULTS/siCTRL/20191010/Pos01/NucleiClasses/20191010_Pos01_cl7-class-0.png is a low contrast image
  warn('%s is a low contrast image' % fname)
Thu Apr  9 16:04:03 2020: Image # 1, module SaveImages # 37: CPU_time = 0.30 secs, Wall_time = 0.30 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:03 2020: Image # 1, module SaveImages # 38: CPU_time = 0.14 secs, Wall_time = 0.14 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:03 2020: Image # 1, module OverlayOutlines # 43: CPU_time = 0.09 secs, Wall_time = 0.09 secs
/home/dolivierhub/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/skimage/io/_io.py:140: UserWarning: /home/dolivierhub/data/output/batch1/RESULTS/siCTRL/20191010/Pos01/outline/20191010_Pos01_cl7-0.png is a low contrast image
  warn('%s is a low contrast image' % fname)
Thu Apr  9 16:04:03 2020: Image # 1, module SaveImages # 44: CPU_time = 0.15 secs, Wall_time = 0.14 secs
Thu Apr  9 16:04:04 2020: Image # 1, module ExportToSpreadsheet # 45: CPU_time = 0.00 secs, Wall_time = 0.00 secs
Failed to write measurements to database
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 3545, in write_data_to_db
    object_name2)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2927, in get_relationship_type_id
    self.handle_interaction_get_relationship_types()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2212, in handle_interaction_get_relationship_types
    return self.get_relationship_types(cursor).items()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2238, in get_relationship_types
    execute(cursor, statement)])
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 281, in execute
    cursor.execute(query)
OperationalError: no such table: Batch_tablePer_RelationshipTypes
Error detected during run of module ExportToDatabase
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/pipeline.py", line 1782, in run_with_yield
    self.run_module(module, workspace)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/pipeline.py", line 2034, in run_module
    module.run(workspace)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2159, in run
    self.write_data_to_db(workspace)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 3545, in write_data_to_db
    object_name2)
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2927, in get_relationship_type_id
    self.handle_interaction_get_relationship_types()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2212, in handle_interaction_get_relationship_types
    return self.get_relationship_types(cursor).items()
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 2238, in get_relationship_types
    execute(cursor, statement)])
  File "/home/dolivierhub/CellProfiler/cellprofiler/modules/exporttodatabase.py", line 281, in execute
    cursor.execute(query)
OperationalError: no such table: Batch_tablePer_RelationshipTypes
Thu Apr  9 16:04:04 2020: Image # 1, module ExportToDatabase # 46: CPU_time = 0.38 secs, Wall_time = 0.38 secs

Hi Debbi,

It looks like a lot of that trace is missing modules from the plugins. I’d try going through and pip installing modules like dognet, imageio, etc. If you don’t need that plugin module then you might want to remove it from the plugins folder.

For imports like cpimage, these are modules which were moved in CellProfiler 3. I recently updated these imports in the cellprofiler/plugins repository, so you might have some luck if you fetch the latest versions from github. That said, I’ve not full tested CP3 compatibility and so can’t guarantee they’ll be fully functional. The imports should be valid though.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the database writing. Could you check that the database file is successfully created, and if so whether anything is written into it at all? A screenshot of your database export settings might also be helpful.

ok will try but the pipeline works without any issues for the GUI version.
Are there any different requirements for headless vs GUI?

I cloned the updated plugins repo and I changed the database export from SQLLite to mySQL/CSV …
and it seems to be working now.
HOWEVEr: one question:
i have multiple image sets that I will run consecutively in headless mode.
Can I have the results written in the same database to be able to compare the conditions eg control vs siRNA or will it write multiple databases… that I will have to combine somehow?
Sorry I am a true novice when it comes to database and headless
(though pretty happy with myself having managed to get one headless run going)

cheers
Debbi

It’s possible that the headless environment may be trying to use a different python environment or something. Alternatively the plugins folder could be mapped differently. It’s hard to say without seeing the machine in question, sorry!

Regarding the database, I’m afraid I haven’t tried this on my end. I expect that it’ll attempt to append to an existing database, it’d probably be best to try it and see what happens!