I want to provide CellProfiler users a timeline (and roadmap) for CellProfiler 4.0.0.
My plan is to freeze (i.e. I’ll stop merging into the master branch of CellProfiler Git repository) in November and release sometime in January (or earlier).
- Update Python 2.7 to Python 3.8
- Add type annotations
- Update wxPython 3 to wxPython 4
- Update PyZMQ 15 to PyZMQ 18
- Rewrite the ZeroMQ message queue to use asyncio (Python’s standard asynchronous input/output library)
- Add (and document) a public API that’ll enable users to use CellProfiler modules and pipelines from their Python packages and applications (or Jupyter notebooks)
- Add CellProfiler to PyPI
- Use scikit-image exclusively (including merging missing functions upstream to scikit-image)
It’s possible some non-planned features will ship. I imagine I’ll update some more modules to process volumes and I’ll promote some contributed CellProfiler modules to the official release.
I’m happy to answer any questions and more than happy to help anyone interested in contributing!