CellProfiler 2.2.2 No Longer Starts after 3.1.5 Install

cellprofiler

Today I installed the latest CellProfiler 3.1.5 to give it a trial. However, after doing so my CellProfiler 2.2.2 would not open. Uninstalling 3.1.5, uninstalling 2.2.2 and re-installing 2.2.2 did not help. Re-installing Java 8 also has not fixed the problem. I am running Windows 10 - any help as to where I should look to fix this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Managed to fix it myself by searching the registry for all CellProfiler entries - it seems the new version of CellProfiler changes JAVA_HOME and JDK_HOME which need to be set back to the Java installation directory for CellProfiler 2.2.2 to work.

We have many projects currently running using CellProfiler 2.2.2 pipelines (and we don’t want to switch part way through); our cluster is also currently configured with this older version. Is there any way for me to readily have both versions installed without using a virtual machine/multiple computers? Thanks.

Hi,

If you have JDK_HOME and JAVA_HOME set to the Java install directory, that should be sufficient to run both 2.2 and 3.1.5 on the same machine.