Cell Profiler Analyst Won't Open_Can't install older versions either

Hey,

I can open cell profiler analyst. I have the 64 bit version of JAVA installed

When I click on the Cell-profiler icon, the following error pops up
[ errno 13 ] permission denied error

I’m running windows 10 and I did have cell profiler analyst working before, which might have been with an older version. However, I am not even able to download the older versions as the cell profiler website links do not work for older versions of either cell profiler or cel profiler analyst.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Can you confirm on if you mean CellProfiler or CellProfiler-Analyst? What version of Java do you have (CPA will only work with the JDK8)? Is your JAVA_HOME environment variable set?

Please do let us know what website links are broken and we’ll try to get them fixed!

Hey Beth,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I mean Cell Profiler-Analyst.

I downloaded Version 8 Update 281 from this exact website: https://www.java.com/en/download/(The 64 bit version for windows)

And yes, the website links for downloading older versions of BOTH Cellprofiler and CellProfiler-Analyst are not working for me.

Thanks!

Randy

I’m not great with computer language so I don’t know what you mean by this…

I’m not sure that’s the right link for the JDK (but I can’t be sure because it auto-updates for the OS- you need not just Java but a Java JDK, can you grab the correct Java8 JDK from the link on Download | CellProfiler Analyst ) ?

There seems to be something weird going on with our website, I’ll have someone take a look, but in the meantime if you right click the link and do “Copy link location” and open that in a new tab, that seems to work. Website issue is now fixed!

Here’s a good explainer on figuring out what JAVA_HOME is set to, and changing how it is set if it isn’t correct, but I think the issue will be fixed by just getting the JDK installed - if not, set JAVA_HOME to point to your JDK installation.

Ok so do I choose the option “Open JDK 8” and then the option " Hotspot"?
I did that, and right now I have JAVA 8 Update 231 installed from the website you provided.
I changed the environmental variables for both JDK_HOME and JAVA_Home to :
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_231”, which is the location of the JAVA I just downloaded

What is the difference between JAVA and JDK_HOme?

Randy

Thanks

Randy

Hey,

Also there is a 3rd variable called “CP_JAVA_Home”, which I haven’t changed yet…

Randy

Yeah I downloaded JAVA 8, then the JDK from the website you provided ( JDK 9, hotspot) then the new CellProfiler Analyst in that order.

The environmental variable was changed as well.

Still, same error.

Randy

Here’s the error I get in the cellprofiler analyst text file.

javabridge.jutil.JVMNotFoundError: Can’t find the Java Virtual Machine
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CellProfiler-Analyst.py”, line 12, in
ImportError: No module named future
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “CellProfiler-Analyst.py”, line 12, in
ImportError: No module named future

Hey Just downloaded an older version of CP analyst with the new links and it is working fine now. Thanks!

HI,

Now I cant open cell profiler . Although I’m finally able to get an older version of cell profiler analyst working, I now can’t run cell profiler. The black window opens, then just disappears…

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

Did you change CP_JAVA_HOME?

Also, this won’t affect your ability to run CellProfiler, but for the purposes of running CellProfiler-Analyst, are you certain that that’s the right folder? Right now when I go to the Java link from the CPA website on that page from a Windows machine, I get jdk8u282-b08; 231 should be quite a ways back.