Care to help a newb?

I apologize in advance for not being a scientist, I’m figuring out what I can with Google and YouTube.
What I want to do is measure the human body (preferably in inches) accurately from a photo. Im looking to measure different parts of the body and compare them (shoulder to hip, If possible, circumference of wrist and waist, etc. etc.). From all of the mind blowing applications this thing can seem to handle it seems like my goal should be possible, but when I try to search info regarding using the program on the human body my searches are coming up pretty dry. Is my desired application possible with this program or an underwhelming use of it? It’s proving pretty difficult to find a program that can measure body dimensions from a photo, with all the 3D body scanners being trendy right now every search I try just gets me results for fitness/ fat indexing…
I would truly appreciate some pointers,
Thank you!

1 Like

In principle I think yes.
But it’s not so clear how do you want to effort this goal.
First of all, what instrument and setup you would use to “acquire” a human body?

Hi @Brittany_Cash,

This is a cross-disciplinary forum, so all are welcome!

Do you mean a single photograph like you might take with a phone?

If so, then you are trying to get 3-dimensional information (circumference) from 2-dimensional data (a single photo taken from a certain angle). So there are obvious limitations to that method. You might be able to estimate it by making certain assumptions, depending on the kind of data you have.

Measuring height (which is 2D) from a photo would be more straightforward. For that you just need a measurement standard within the photo. For example, you could put a ruler next to the subject’s torso. If you have that, we can help you get the measurement from the photo.

Of course the subject, the ruler, and the camera plane have to all be positioned parallel to each other: ruler and person vertical, camera level. And the ruler needs to be the same distance from the camera as the area you need to measure. You can imagine, if the person was leaning forward, the torso would look shorter in the camera picture, because of perspective.

Hope this helps for a start.

I am hoping to get the measurements from taking pictures with a camera/ smartphone. If I stick with just 2d measurements like height, would it work to have a person stand against something like a backdrop with a ruler printed on, or would the fact that a backdrop would be sort of behind the subject distort the measurements?
Thank you!

I think the backdrop could be ok if it was close enough to the person.
You can check this by taking some test photos. Compare the measurement you get from the photo to the measurement you obtain directly from the person.

To actually get the measurements from the photo, this page shows how to set the image scale to reflect real distances:

Good luck!

I plan to take a picture of a person with a camera and hopefully be able to go back and accurately measure body proportions. I specifically used “human body” because searching for things regarding measuring a person didn’t give me any results, but searching for measuring a body gave me unrelated things like animals, insects or organisms bodies.
Thank you!
Brittany

Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Well measuring body using only 2d images is not the best idea, I think.
Actually there are 3d scanners which is used to make 3d body scans and get measurement data from it. Both stationary and handheld. I cannot tell you anything about stationary ones, I work with handheld ones. Especially Artec Eva provides very accurate scans of the current body parts (useful for surgeons) or the whole body. But if you need the body in general I think stationary should be better choice, cause it takes plenty of time to learn how to work with Eva.

Sorry I’m so late on this subject. I just found out about the Forum, but you can use any point of reference nearby the object (preferably a standard reference, such as a brick, license plate, sign etc…) to set a scale for the image in question.
If the interested point is a geometrical shape such as the head you could then use the formula for something such as a sphere or spheroid to get very close approximations for volume or surface area. Length is straightforward.
I may be too late but I hope this helps.

Bob