Can't open IHC images

Hi, this might be a very newbie question, but I am trying to open some immunofluorescence pictures in TIFF format and ImageJ keeps giving me the error “ImageJ can only open 8 and 16 bit/change files format (12)”.
I’ve been trying for hours to find a solution to this and nothing, so I thought I would ask.
any suggestions?
Thank you

Hi @dabronzo

Great you asked here on the Forum! Welcome!

No worries at all - let’s get you some assistance…

So if you are new to ImageJ in general… here are some helpful links to check out:

For your exact issue… Honestly, I am not exactly sure the solution myself. What version of ImageJ are you running? You can click on the status bar to see the version and let us know.

But if I were you, I would try this:

1. Download and use Fiji as said above…
  2. We recommend opening images via File > Import > Bio-Formats - that way your metadata in read in correctly. You can read up more on Bio-Formats here.

Hope this helps solve some of your issues. If still not - post again so we can better help you.

eta :slight_smile:

Hi Eta, I am using ImageJ 1.51p version
I am trying every format listed under Imports and nothing worked so far. I will look up the Fiji workshop and see if I find some solution there.
My western blots images open fine, just the IHC that are showing this error.
Thank you

Hi @dabronzo
Just give this a try:

As I said in my response… try this first. And for sure - watch the workshops! They are a great way to get oriented in the start.

eta

So I got it to open but I had to open the image in paint and then save it as JPEG file. The TIFF file would not work.
Thank you!

@dabronzo

That is strange. Can you upload your TIFF file so that those on here can try it themselves?

eta

Sure, how do I upload images or files to this?

I tried to upload one of the pictures but I can’t see it from my end. Let me know if you can see it/download it.
Thank you for your help

Dear @dabronzo,

ImageJ does not support the 12-bit TIFF files that you are trying to open. Bio-Formats, however, can open the image that you have uploaded. To verify that, you could download Fiji that already bundles Bio-Formats (or install Bio-Formats in your ImageJ). Go to Plugins > Bio-Formats > Bio-Formats Importer and select the file.

It is just the forum that cannot show your file. Right clicking and Save as should download that file.

Best,
Stefan

Thank you Stelfrich, I will try the Fiji when I get to lab