Cannot open sample image in Fiji (Blobs)?

Does anyone else have issues with simply opening ‘Blobs’ in Fiji (ImageJ 1.53i)?

When l use File > Open Samples > Blobs I get the following (result is the same when I ‘View stack with:’ Hyperstack or Standard ImageJ) :

When I drag and drop:

Though the blobs.gif image is present at https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/images/ as we would expect.
I am not actually sure why the Bio-Formats Importer is used to open the sample image?
I tried to check / uncheck the SCIFIO option in Edit > Options > ImageJ2. This had no impact.

When I use in a macro as follows:

run("Blobs (25K)");

or via

run("Blobs", " color_mode=Default group_files quiet display_metadata rois_import=[ROI manager] view=Hyperstack stack_order=XYCZT");

I get the following results (changing view=Hyperstack into view=view=[Standard ImageJ] does not change the result):

I am probably missing something obvious :thinking:

Can confirm that Blobs works fine on my rather normal up to date 1.53i.

Have you tried downloading a second copy of FIJI and adding no plugins, or testing your issue on a second computer.

1 Like

A new Fiji and a ImageJ version on the same computer work fine. Strangeness :thinking: I don’t specifically recall installing a new plugin.

I now removed downloaded sample images, these were in Fiji.app/samples/ and placed these elsewhere. Fiji now happily opens Blobs.gif and other sample images from the online resource.

Looking closer at the images (placed outside the Fiji.app folder): some of these images are ‘broken’ - also other software packages cannot open these.
Re-downloaded them: all is well now, also when placed in Fiji.app/samples/. Apparently the downloaded sample images can become ‘broken’, good to know.

1 Like