Can select folders (& their contents) be set to "disable download"?

Can select folders (& their contents) be set to “disable download”?
I work with the COST Action INDEPTH group and part of an omero instance I admin is at FSU (omero.bio.fsu.edu). Group members want to to have a data-sharing folder specifically for “UNPUBLISHED” data and asked if we can set folder (project, dataset) permissions to “VIEW ONLY”, or more specifically “DISABLE DOWNLOAD”. The entire rest of our omero-fsu is private accounts (labs, classrooms, facilities, etc) or public (the client is set to the behind-the-scenes public login to view data from groups that include this public user) - we wish to have a mix of public (view & download avail) and show (view, but not download).

It may be that I am not quite understanding who should be able to do what with which data. Our documentation is perhaps somewhat light on this point but one may apply omero.policy.binary_access-like behavior on a per-group basis and I don’t know if that might help? (That restriction could be made more fine-grained but such work is not on a currently funded roadmap.) I guess the questions are: Who are the classes of users and what should they be permitted to do?

Much of OMERO’s group permissions system is about who can see or write data, less download-focused, given how “download” is so difficult to separate from “view”, much as the recording industry may wish otherwise. For example, OMERO.downloader allows OME-TIFF export of images regardless of how binary file access is configured on the server. For access by the public via the web there are also useful restrictions possible, if that might help?

I believe this would actually do exactly what’s needed.
How would one go about applying this setting to one group but not the rest on the server? Based on that documentation it seemed like it was a server-wide property.

For their purpose it seems that the ability to download the “entire 3D dataset” is the only thing they want to prevent. They are not concerned with the copying of any (or all) individual image slices.

Dr. Bass will likely need to elaborate on this, but my rough understanding of the situation is that for one particular group on the server they want to disable binary download access to all but the owner of each dataset, regardless of view permissions. All the other groups should continue to behave per the default settings.

Forgot to clarify, I work with the OP.

How would one go about applying this setting to one group but not the rest on the server?

To stop binary download for the group with ID 15,

omero obj map-set ExperimenterGroup:15 config -- omero.policy.binary_access -read

the ability to download the “entire 3D dataset”

OMERO.downloader allows bulk OME-TIFF export of a whole dataset of 5D image stacks regardless of the above setting.

they want to disable binary download access to all but the owner of each dataset,

In the above example those with write access to the dataset can still do the download.